Will Strong Banana Flavor Decrease?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
I brewed this very basic extract hefe:

6# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
0.5 oz. Hallertau hops (pellets) @ 60 min.
0.5 " " @ 10 min.
WLP380
OG 1.051
FG 1.016

Fermed @ around 64-65F for 10 days. Reached FG but saw that kraussen hadn't dropped, so I put it @ 70F for 3 days, which dropped the kraussen. Cold-crashed for 24 hrs., bottled next day with 3/4 C. corn sugar.

Bottle-conditioned at 70F for a week and tasted one. VERY strong banana flavor. Tried another 3 days later, not much different. Otherwise tasty, good carb, great color/haze but not much head like you'd expect from a hefe. And obviously, little hoppiness.

I know it's early in the game, but wondering if with time, will the banana subside? Or is there something I can/should do to mellow it a bit. I used WLP380 instead of WLP300 because I read that it tended more toward clove than banana. I wish there was a little more clove or at least a slight peppery/spicy quality, but there isn't, unless the banana is simply overwhelming it. I didn't want to dry-spice it before giving it a chance to do what it was going to do by itself. Thanks.

"but wondering if with time, will the banana subside? "

I will guarantee you that after 6 months or so it will mellow. It is weird though that you got that strong of a bannana flavor when you were at 65F. That usually comes from being in the 70's

I used Wyeast's version of this strain a while back. The banana flavor was definitely stronger for the first few weeks after 2-3 weeks in the bottle. After that, the clove started to take over and the banana began to fade. When fermented at higher temps, these strains tend to give more banana. At lower temps: more clove. I would think 64-65F would give more clove, though. I think this beer just needs more time in the bottle

Did you pitch at fermentation temp?

I pitched at 68F, fermed at 64-65F.

Like others, I, too, would have thought that this ferm temp would have downplayed the banana, which is why I used the 380 and was careful to keep ferm temp low and steady. After FG, I didn't think it mattered that I raised the temp for a few days to 70F to allow kraussen to sink, but maybe that had something to do with it?

Right now, there is very little if any clove apparent, so I'm hoping you prognosticators are correct in your assessment that some time in the bottle may prove it to be a less-banana-more-clove brew in a few weeks. I know for sure it won't be any worse. :D

I pitched at 68F, fermed at 64-65F.

Like others, I, too, would have thought that this ferm temp would have downplayed the banana, which is why I used the 380 and was careful to keep ferm temp low and steady. After FG, I didn't think it mattered that I raised the temp for a few days to 70F to allow kraussen to sink, but maybe that had something to do with it?

Right now, there is very little if any clove apparent, so I'm hoping you prognosticators are correct in your assessment that some time in the bottle may prove it to be a less-banana-more-clove brew in a few weeks. I know for sure it won't be any worse. :D

I once pitched an IPA on the slightly hot side that took a few hours to get down to my desired temp and this was enough to give me banana. I've since learned that it's better to pitch slightly cooler than desired temp.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

I once pitched an IPA on the slightly hot side that took a few hours to get down to my desired temp and this was enough to give me banana. I've since learned that it's better to pitch slightly cooler than desired temp.

Good advice. Thanks!

64 - 65 actual temp or ambient temp? If ambient, you can expect 5 to 10f higher in the vessel which might cause that particular yeast to produce the banana flavor.

64 - 65 actual temp or ambient temp? If ambient, you can expect 5 to 10f higher in the vessel which might cause that particular yeast to produce the banana flavor.

Actually... is was ambient. Forgot about the exothermic reaction. Makes sense now.

I used Wyeast's version of this strain a while back. The banana flavor was definitely stronger for the first few weeks after 2-3 weeks in the bottle. After that, the clove started to take over and the banana began to fade. When fermented at higher temps, these strains tend to give more banana. At lower temps: more clove. I would think 64-65F would give more clove, though. I think this beer just needs more time in the bottle

3-week update: the banana has subsided considerably. This beer is AWESOME! Three fam members tried it for the first time over the weekend and said it was my best HB yet.

Latest posts

Back