Will my beer ever taste good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnutting

Reaction score
My first batch was an extract kit; Burche's Nut Brown Ale using dried Nottingham yeast. All the gravities seemed to be in range OG - FG. I followed the 1-2-3 method, one week in primary (bubbling was done after 3 days) two weeks in secondary (everything seemed pretty calm, no extra bubbling). After one week in the bottle I tried one, not too much carbonation but there was some. Not too much flavor kind of watery, left a syrup like flavor as an aftertaste kind of like cough medicine. After two weeks in the bottle much better carbonation, still not much flavor and still leaves a cough medicine like aftertaste. Now after three weeks in the bottle the carbonation is good but still no real flavor. The cough medicine flavor is much more prominent and I could not force myself to choke it down.

My second batch was another extract kit; Honey Amber Bitter. The OG and FGs were a bit low (FG was supposed to be 14 and mine was 12). I followed the same 1-2-3 method as above. Fermentation was pretty much like above also other than there were little tiny bubbles in the secondary for a week or so then everything settled down. It has only been in the bottle one week and the carbonation was OK but no real flavor and it had that cough medicine like aftertaste.

All the bottles have been sitting in a room in the basement at around 62 - 64F. I followed good sanitation in both beers (for a newb I thought it was pretty good). Both batches were partial boils using an electric stove and the boil was not very good. I had to leave the lid on with the vent open in order to get a boil. Could this be my reason for such crappy beer? I'll put it this way; my wife can drink Corrs light then take a dring of either of these two and she says "they taste watery." The Amber tasted better prior to bottle (still watery but no real cough syrup taste).

Will they get better with age? My next couple of batches have been made using a turkey fryer so the boils have been great. I hope they turn out better.

So should I scrap the first two and reuse the bottles? The aftertaste on both is pretty bad and both seem to have quite a chill haze. I guess the better way to describe the aftertaste is like gasoline.

Help! If there is any other information that I could give that would help solve this mystery let me know and I will try to provide it.

I believe the lid on may well be the cause of your woes.

Also, 62-64 is probably a little cool for bottle conditioning, depending on the temps you fermented at. Ideally, you should bottle condition at about the same temps you ferment at.

cweston said:
I believe the lid on may well be the cause of your woes.

can you say Rolling Rock?

I bet once you are able to do full boils your beers will improve. Now with the no flavor you are talking about, are you steeping grains also?

Leaving the lid on during the boil can definitely cause off-flavors. One thing I would suggest would be to do smaller boils when brewing. BTW, how big have your boils been? Four gallons? You could get away with two and a half gallons, and you should be able to get that to boil. Also, was your fermentation at a relatively high temperature, say upper 70s? If it was done in just three days that could also be a culprit.

He mentioned going to a turkey fryer for the next batches so I think reducing boiling volume is moot at this point. You might have even had some scorching on the bottom of the pot, especially with an electric stove and probably LME which likes to sink to the bottom. You'll have less of an issue with that with the full boil. Now... be careful with your kits now because the hop IBUs are probably calculated with a partial boil in mind. That means your full boil will pull more bitterness if you don't reduce your hops a bit. Here's where brewing software comes in. Try Qbrew, it's free.

1. Yes I have been steeping grains all along. Both for about 20 min at 150F.
2. My fermentation temp is the same as bottling temp (same room) 62-64F. Should I let them sit in primary longer than the 1 week even though the gravity seems to be OK and there are no more bubbles in the air lock?
3. The boils were about 3 gallons when I was on the electric. I now have been doing about 4 gallons on the fryer (my pot is only a 5 gallon, I'm borrowing the fryer). I plan on buying a fryer kit that comes with the 30 QT pot.
4. The extract is a LME. I have made sure to take the pot off the heat before I pour in the LME to limit any scorching.

Are the current two batches salvageable? Will they get better with age?

Again thanks for the quick responses.

I am no expert, but I have noticed on my brews that when I use corn sugar or DME for bottling that there is an obvious after taste that I don't really enjoy. The after taste has decreased quite a bit after being in the bottle for about 2 months. When I changed to corny kegs and CO2 tank I have not noticed the taste at all. But in all fairness, I also changed to AG rather than kits. My first AG was bottled and the taste was still there-not as bad though.

It probably has something to do with yeast activity during carbonation and since you are storing and conditioning at a low temp it will probably take longer to decrease the taste.

mew said:
Did you use bleach as a sanitizer?
One Step and I rinsed even though it is a "No rinse" cleaner.

So there should be no reason that it should have an off flavor due to the sanitizer.

I wonder if a few of the other people are on to something with the low temp that my bottles are sitting at and that it is giving me serious lag in fermentation/carbonation times. I also suspect that doing my boils on the stove with those two batches may also be a culprit.

The big question is "Will it ever taste like beer?"

Torchiest said:
Leaving the lid on during the boil can definitely cause off-flavors. One thing I would suggest would be to do smaller boils when brewing. BTW, how big have your boils been? Four gallons? You could get away with two and a half gallons, and you should be able to get that to boil. Also, was your fermentation at a relatively high temperature, say upper 70s? If it was done in just three days that could also be a culprit.

I just did my first batch last week and unknowingly (somehow I missed the note on it despite reading both the Complete Joy and How to Brew incessantly before brewing) left the lid on during the boil.

Based on this and my general luck with my first batch, I'm thinking my first batch is going to be a drain pour across the board.

foureyedgeek said:
I just did my first batch last week and unknowingly (somehow I missed the note on it despite reading both the Complete Joy and How to Brew incessantly before brewing) left the lid on during the boil.

Based on this and my general luck with my first batch, I'm thinking my first batch is going to be a drain pour across the board.
Yeah I'm hoping that I don't have to do that with these two batches, it would suck:(

I'm actually hoping that if the taste does not mellow and get better that it is due to the lid being on and not an infection or something else bad. At least that would mean that I did everything else at least close to right ;)

bnutting said:
Yeah I'm hoping that I don't have to do that with these two batches, it would suck:(

I'm actually hoping that if the taste does not mellow and get better that it is due to the lid being on and not an infection or something else bad. At least that would mean that I did everything else at least close to right ;)

I hear you. It's frustrating that I'll need to look at how my beer turns out and balance that with the mistakes I made.

bnutting said:
One Step and I rinsed even though it is a "No rinse" cleaner.

So there should be no reason that it should have an off flavor due to the sanitizer.

Was it a no rinse cleaner or sanitizer? If it is a no rinse cleaner you still need to sanitize. If it is a no rinse sanitizer, you should not rinse. You me inadvertently introduce some bacteria or wild yeast with the rinse water.

I would stick to non-flavored beer at the beginning. Once you have your technique down you will find out that there are a lot of flavorings that don't taste good. And then you can isolate the problem to the flavoring.

Forrest

Beerrific said:
Was it a no rinse cleaner or sanitizer? If it is a no rinse cleaner you still need to sanitize. If it is a no rinse sanitizer, you should not rinse. You me inadvertently introduce some bacteria or wild yeast with the rinse water.

I use one-step all of the time. DON'T RINSE with water ever. It never has an after taste to me. Its really classified as a cleaner by the FDA but works very well as a sanitzer.

Its best not to top off with it though! :D

I wouldn't toss them ... I'd consider mixing 1/2 bad beer with 1/2 of a store bought beer in a pint glass and enjoy ;)

Latest posts

Back