Will LME pour through a bottling bucket tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My closest homebrew shop has large 55gal. drums of Briess LME on hand.
They dispense LME to customers from these angled drum containers. The LME is sold by weight or used onsite for their "brew on premises" customers.
It's like honey - a real PITA to dispense unless you keep it warm. Thank God I only deal with the 3.3lb containers.

Do you have the means to keep the LME bucket well sealed to prevent oxidation and cold to retain freshness as long as possible? Keep the spigot clean and sanitized to prevent mold and a base for fruit flies.

I've also thought about bulk LME and DME for a continuous supply of amber ale.

because of the infrastructure needed with bulk LME, I decided when I needed to extract brew for a few years to buy bulk DME. All I had to do was keep it from getting moist.

before then I was LME fan, since then I switched to DME for my extract brews
Plus if I do a super heavy OG, I usually do a mini mash with DME

Liquid was great when I lived near a HBS, but my local HBS is 120 miles away now so DME just makes more sense I store it where I store my grains in a temp controlled pantry and do not need any special provisions with cleanup when I get a few pounds.

Just my 2 cents

Back