will it carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droopy77

Reaction score
so my first batch ever has been in bottles for two weeks. i can't belive my will power at not opening them till they should be ready but in more constant reading on here have figured out i screwed up. when i was ready to bottle i just dumped the five ounces of priming sugar then racked the five gallons on top of it trying to keep the hose output swirling the beer. i also stirred it briefly after it was all racked to the bottling bucket but will it properly carbonate since i didn't know i had to make a simple syrup with the priming sugar? my final gravity reading tasted great so hopefully this will carb out properly. its a williams brewing APA kept at 68 for a week once in bottles and now in the cellar at 60.

thanks for the help, ty

The simple syrup step helps the granular sugar dissolve more evenly when you add it to your beer. If you stirred it before you started bottling and also while you were siphoning, you should be OK. Some people have complained about having some bottles carb up more than others, but I have never run into that.

I would be more concerned about your bottle conditioning length. A lot of guys on here will keep their bottles at fermenting temps for 3 weeks before chilling. Depending on the yeast strain in the APA, 60 could be a little chilly for it. I wouldn't warm them up at this point, but you may want to let them sit a little longer.

Of course, you could crack one open tonight and see how it's doing. Your last beer will always be the best beer from any batch, but it could be drinkable at this point.

I don't know if it'll carb up at 60 degrees- when I use an ale yeast, I need to keep the bottles at 68+ or so, to get them to carb up in three weeks. At 60 degrees, many ale yeast strains will go dormant, or at least get very, very sluggish.

Move the bottles somewhere warmer. Keep an eye on them, in case some bottles got more of the priming sugar that others. You don't want any glass bombs!

just an update. i couldn't wait any longer and had to try one of my first batch tonight. after one week in bottles at 68-70 and one week in the cellar at 60 my APA carbed up nicely and tastes GREAT! I'm gonna go have another now:rockin:

I have had bottles carb at 60, but it is slowwwwwwww. I try to keep them around 65 at the lowest and 70 at the highest. I usually sneak a beer to check the carbonation after 2 weeks.

Back