Will I need Rice Hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggben

Reaction score
This is for a 5.5 gal batch i am brewing, i have heard of peoples mash's getting stuck in bigger recipes my question is, is this recipe going to get stuck if i dont use rice hulls? i have a 10 gal cooler mash tun. thanks for the help

2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 13 pounds
61.9%
Chocolate
29ppg, 350°L 1.5 pounds
7.1%
Oats (Flaked)
32ppg, 2°L 1 pound
4.8%
Liquid Molasses
36ppg, 80°L 1 pound
4.8%
Barley (Flaked)
32ppg, 2°L 1 pound
4.8%
Crystal 80L
34ppg, 80°L 1 pound
4.8%
Munich (Light)
34ppg, 10°L 1 pound
4.8%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 0.5 pounds
2.4%
Black Patent
27ppg, 500°L 0.5 pounds
2.4%
Barley (Roasted)
28ppg, 500°L

By looking at the grain bill I would say no. I don't see what would gum up when spargeing out with that amount of adjuncts. I know when making a wheat beers with more that 60% wheat I uses the hulls. Nothing ruins a brew day than a stuck mash for sure.:mug:

agreed. You only have 2 pounds of flaked grains, the rest have husks so you are fine. Wheat doesn't have husks and turns to mush hence the need for rice hulls.
Good luck with the brew.

I do use rice hulls for my 10 gallon batches mainly for insurance against stuck sparges. I would not worry at the five gallon level too much.

If you're asking if you need them, just put them in. They don't affect taste at all, are dirt cheap, and a few handfulls will do you. Good thing to just have on hand for instances where you're on the fence.

ok so update i finished brewing this batch last night without rice hulls with absolutely no problems, no stuck mash or sparge. cant wait to try it thanks again everyone for your help.

Back