Will I melt my transfer hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Got my 15 gallon megapot today and will be setting up for my first 10 gal brew this weekend. I am building a stand to hold the HLT and the mash tun. However, the kettle will be sitting on my burner stand on the floor. I was thinking of using a pump to help whirlpool the wort and also to pump into the fermenter.

However, I can't help but wonder if having tubing connected to the ball valve that close to the burner isn't going to just get me a melted hose. I will be using the high temp stuff from NB, but I don't think it's THAT high temp. I know other people are doing something similar, how do you do it? I was planning on starting the recirc during the last 10 min of the boil to help sanitize everything, I'm assuming this is a common practice?

Thanks for your help,
Greg

If you have flames coming out from under your pot while the burner is on, you could possibly melt the hose. Also if the hose comes into contact with the burner stand it could melt. Chances are though that isn't going to be the case.

I have plenty of room from the flame to the end of my ball valve and will hook up my hoses when I drop my IC into the kettle. I've never had one of these hoses burn, but I keep a pretty close eye on where they are so they don't touch my stand or get too close to the burner. I have had my hoses burn when connected to my mash tun and it came into contact with the stand though.

Back