Will Franken beer live?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerenstein

Reaction score
Crappie beer day today. Lots went wrong, but beer should still be the result of today. I brewed 2 5 gallon batches of beer. I'll post pics of the ingredients in a minute.

As I sat there waiting for the 2nd batch to reach boil, I stared at still steaming grains in a otherwise clean bucket. Hmmm, there's probably sugars still in there, I thought.

So, I threw the grains from both recipes into the mash tun, spared with COLD WATER, and got bout 4.5gallons of good looking stuff. Comes out to 30 on the hydrometer. Or 1.03 ish.

SO, I added .5oz centennial, and .5oz cascade. No boil whatsoever. 1/4 of my rehydrated safe 04.

We jigger up a lid with blow off tube.

We shall see what happens. Muahahahaha!

Crappy beer day today. Lots went wrong, but beer should still be the result of today. I brewed 2 5 gallon batches of beer. I'll post pics of the ingredients in a minute.

As I sat there waiting for the 2nd batch to reach boil, I stared at still steaming grains in a otherwise clean bucket. Hmmm, there's probably sugars still in there, I thought.

So, I threw the grains from both recipes into the mash tun, spared with COLD WATER, and got bout 4.5gallons of good looking stuff. Comes out to 30 on the hydrometer. Or 1.03 ish.

SO, I added .5oz centennial, and .5oz cascade. No boil whatsoever. 1/4 of my rehydrated safe 04.

View attachment 1420958128227.jpg

View attachment 1420958144470.jpg

View attachment 1420958159602.jpg

View attachment 1420958180373.jpg

View attachment 1420958195922.jpg

View attachment 1420958214338.jpg

View attachment 1420958234105.jpg

Crappie beer day today. Lots went wrong, but beer should still be the result of today. I brewed 2 5 gallon batches of beer. I'll post pics of the ingredients in a minute.

This should be quite the frankenbrew since without boiling the wort you haven't killed off the bacteria that was on the grain nor have you gotten much bittering from the hops, just flavor and aroma.

Were it me, I'd sacrifice the yeast and bring this to a boil to kill the bacteria and get some bittering, then chill and repitch.:rockin:

This is purely an experiment. I was in a bad mood and decided to do something goofy to raise my spirits. Everything else is bubbling happily away. If the yeast take over on this batch, I may add fermentables during fermentation. Just messing around here. Also, if I do that, I may order hops and add straight to the bucket. :)

No sugar left behind.....I like it! I can't wait to hear how it tastes. You can call it "cold sparging" lol. My first brew system many moons ago, was a terrible system that I won't even mention here, but I had mold on a batch (due to an inferior airlock system) and I just scooped it off and bottled. To the best of my knowledge, there is no toxic mold that grows in beer. The beer was terrible, but my point is at the very least, you'll end up with a drinkable beer.

No sugar left behind.....I like it! I can't wait to hear how it tastes. You can call it "cold sparging" lol. My first brew system many moons ago, was a terrible system that I won't even mention here, but I had mold on a batch (due to an inferior airlock system) and I just scooped it off and bottled. To the best of my knowledge, there is no toxic mold that grows in beer. The beer was terrible, but my point is at the very least, you'll end up with a drinkable beer.

Please mention your first brew system. I'd like to compare to mine...

Also, I typed a big long response besides the one above but my phone decided not to post? I won't type again. .. tonight, lol.

So, I cracked the lid on Franken beer last night, and it smelled like beer. I thought , what the heck? And dumped a half pint of honey and half pint of agave nectar in. The solution "fizzed", just like a just poured soda. Neato.

The bubbles in the 2nd pic were released after I poured the honey and agave nectar in. Does this have any meaning? such as,... maybe the yeast was working and had some co2 in solution? Just wondering. .?

The bubbles in the 2nd pic were released after I poured the honey and agave nectar in. Does this have any meaning? such as,... maybe the yeast was working and had some co2 in solution? Just wondering. .?

That's exactly right. It's releasing co2 in solution.

In general brewers aren't as familiar with this as folks who make wine wine, but many a wine maker has been shocked when, after adding something like kmeta to the carboy, the wine comes gushing out like a glorious alcoholic volcano. The next thing they do is put their hands over it to stop to flow. This only exacerbates the problem. The wine squirts between their fingers and sprays everywhere and everything.

You should try it sometime.

That's exactly right. It's releasing co2 in solution.

In general brewers aren't as familiar with this as folks who make wine wine, but many a wine maker has been shocked when, after adding something like kmeta to the carboy, the wine comes gushing out like a glorious alcoholic volcano. The next thing they do is put their hands over it to stop to flow. This only exacerbates the problem. The wine squirts between their fingers and sprays everywhere and everything.

You should try it sometime.

My hands aren't big enough to cover my 5 gallon bucket...:(

What is kmeta?

also, I haven't seen signs of a Krausen at all on this Franken beer. Could this be because of the extremely low original gravity? Or maybe the pellet hops on top? Or maybe even the underpitched yeast? Or a combination?

My hands aren't big enough to cover my 5 gallon bucket...:(

What is kmeta?

also, I haven't seen signs of a Krausen at all on this Franken beer. Could this be because of the extremely low original gravity? Or maybe the pellet hops on top? Or maybe even the underpitched yeast? Or a combination?

It's likely because you didn't boil the wort.

Boiling the wort does something to the proteins. That something gives you hot break and cold break and I think it sets you up for krausen too.

Thanks for the info, RM-MN and TexasWine. It still smells like beer and looks like beer, so I'm gonna keg it in the next week or two. Wanna try kegging on something not as important as my other two batches first. :)

OK, Franken beer has lived so far. 14 days after brew day, I decide to bottle it . Get a bit in my mouth as I siphon some off, and all i taste is the hops I dry hopped with, lol. The OG was 1.02, and I added about 3/4 of a pint of honey, and about 3/4 pint of blue agave nectar to primary, after 3 days of seriously underpitched yeast fermentation. My Fg was 1.000, even. The pictures attached attestView attachment 1422149589260.jpg to this. We shall see how this turns out in the end, but so far the experiment is going well! Also, the pictures of the color in clear glass, it looks putrid! Lol. I may think about sending this to someone from HBT, if interested, to get an opinion lol.

Any thoughts from anyone? ??

Attachments

• 1422149677364.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 1422149678019.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1422149678657.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 1422149756045.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 142
So... Franken beer was pretty nasty the other night when I tried a bottle. I dumped the bottle. Gonna give it more time, though.

I had a crappy beer once. Nothing like yours but still pretty bad after 2 weeks. I put a case of it under the stairs and forgot about it. Three months later I was digging around and found the case. Chilled one and cracked it open and Dang it was good.

Not suggesting yours will age out, but it might.

Early in my brewing hobby, I made a blueberry wheat ale, with wild Maine blueberries. Not much for fruit flavored beers, but friends wanted it. It turned out awful! I was pretty sure it was infected, because the bottles were somewhat gushers. I dumped the batch. I thought. Two years later I found 6 grolsh-style bottles I had missed. Chilled them. Popped one. It was fantastic. Had settled into a lovely amber color with a pink head. Crystal clear and with a distinct, but muted blueberry flavor. I felt stupid dumping the rest.

Back