Will Brett clean up a Lacto Del burnt rubber aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH43055

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with a burnt rubber character from a Lacto Del ferment?

I recently split a 10 gallon batch of ale in half, with 5 gallons getting a pitch of Lactobacillus Delbrueckii from starter along with dregs from tart of darkness and from trinity's super juice sour ipa.

The Super juice smelled of burnt rubber but I pitched it anyway thinking it would add some diversity however the whole batch smells of burnt rubber.

I let the lacto go at 100F for about 3 days then dropped to 65F and pitched some us-05 with Brettanomyces Lambicus and a shot of o2.

I wasn't trying for a tire fire ale and I'm hopeful that either the rubber aroma will dissipate over time or the Brett will chew through it. Is anyone familiar with this character of lacto del?

Are you sure that the burnt rubber is coming from the lacto, and not the dregs that were working at the same 100 deg? I would imagine brett and any other critters other than lacto would throw some serious off flavors being kept at 100 degrees, even if only for three days.

Either way, I can't add much about what will happen as to if it'll dissipate or is there to stay. Can you try getting it to off gas once in the keg? carb it up, then disconnect it, purge over the course of the day, then recarb, purge. Keep doing that until you can't smell the burnt rubber? Just a guess that I've heard works with sulfur off smells.

Lacto del is known to be capable of producing burnt rubber aroma and the dregs were also from Lacto beers. The burnt rubber smelling ipa from trinity was made with the same strain, my starter however was pleasant.

I plan to let the brett do its thing for a few months and if that doesn't do it perhaps I'll try to purge/carb like you mentioned. If that works on sulfer aroma it just might work on this,thanks for the idea. I'll follow up with results either way in a few months.

Latest posts

Back