Will an undisturbed glass carboy ever break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flibe

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a cider and i'm going to age it for three months in my apartment's storage unit. However, everyone's storage unit is next to each other, separated by chicken wire and some 2x4s.

I'm pretty worried about leaving my glass carboy out there. If it breaks, everyone's gonna have some hard cider smelling storage, so right now I have it sitting in a plastic bucket, which it is snugly hanging in. I think the bottom of the glass carboy is not supported, while the main support comes from the sides of the plastic bucket. The bucket it in a straight styrofoam cooler, designed to catch any small drips if it breaks.

Should I leave it in the bucket? Do undisturbed carboys ever break just due to the pressure of the liquid in them?

I've left a note on my carboy, to my storage neighbors, letting them know what's in it, so they don't think i'm making voodoo juice or something.

I'd be more concerned about the bucket giving way than the carboy breaking on its own. Personally, I'd just put it on a towel on the floor. If you're still concerned about breakage, go to a party store and get one of those cheap ice buckets that's big enough for the carboy to sit properly stable on the bottom. The biggest concern I'd have would be forgetting to check the airlock to be sure it doesn't dry out.

The biggest concern I'd have would be forgetting to check the airlock to be sure it doesn't dry out.
This . . .

siliconestopper__74438-300x300.jpg

The potential for vacuum scares me with glass, but yeah, that looks pretty cool.

I use #10 silicone liquid-less airlocks on my better bottles, but have never used the #7's for my glass. I would get them in an instant however. I really like the fact that they can't suck back in, that they have a much lower vertical clearance, and that they can be sanitized in my pressure cooker. If you don't have these, you should.

Sure it could, if it's stressed at certain point. We had the back window in our van blowout once while it was sitting in a close garage. Apparently is was under some stress and just reached its breaking point.

A milk crate would leak. I'm most likely going to get a big plastic tub. That way, if it breaks it leaks into the tub and I don't have angry neighbors.

However, I went to take it out of the bucket and its as snug as a rug. I'm not going to risk tugging on it until its all drained. Looks like its stuck in the bucket until 12-17-13!

Thanks for the responses.

Back