wild yeast - name that pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droder1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i captured some wild yeast from oranges on an orange tree in my yard. It has thrown up a solid pellicle, curious what everyones views are as to what it is (brett/lacto)?

pelicle.jpg

Lacto isn't yeast, but whatever. If you captured from an orange tree, it's almost guaranteed that you captured a variety of things. Some won't grow at all, and some will grow faster or earlier than others. In my experience, lacto doesn't form a continuous pellicle, but one composed of globules that look a lot like cottage cheese. Brett forms a more puffy-cloud type pellicle, which is more what yours looks like to me. People with more experience than me--there's plenty of you--can chime in here.

Lacto isn't yeast, but whatever. If you captured from an orange tree, it's almost guaranteed that you captured a variety of things. Some won't grow at all, and some will grow faster or earlier than others. In my experience, lacto doesn't form a continuous pellicle, but one composed of globules that look a lot like cottage cheese. Brett forms a more puffy-cloud type pellicle, which is more what yours looks like to me. People with more experience than me--there's plenty of you--can chime in here.

Touché on lacto not yeast - but I'm no dummy, just lazy, bacteria/yeast was a longer post title than I figured necessary. But typing this response on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back