Wild yeast..maybe not a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molluskoverlord

Reaction score
Hello,

New to cider making so have cause to ask a few seasoned hands at the task.

3 days ago I juiced apples from the garden and filled a 1 gallon demijohn. Before sealing I tested the SG and seeing a reading of 0.045 but 3 oz of honey (well mixed) in to attempt to bring it to 0.05 (level suggested).

No yeast was added as I liked the idea of the wild yeast affect. This may have been my downfall....as I cannot see any bubbling through the valve and there are no bubbles visible on the surface.

Should I just leave it as it is (approx 21 deg C) for longer or might it be a good idea to cut my losses get a campden tablet throw it in and then get some cider yeast or is it too late?

I have just tested the SG and it is spot on 0.05.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

many thanks,

Andrew

thanks folks I appreciate your help.

I shook it about a little yesterday morning before I admitted defeat with the wild yeast and lo and behold the valve is bubbling away nicely now. The shaking cased a scummy froth on the surface but has since died down (+24hrs) to an almost flat appearance now however the bubbling from the valve is continuing at the same pace. Maybe I just needed to re-suspend the sugar and dissolve a bit of oxygen in who knows. Patience is a virtue.

I will be letting it run its natural course now but if I every make cider again it'll be shop bought yeast and campden for a bit of human control!

Ive read that natural yeast can make some really good cider , slightly different flavors and such , but every batch will turn out different. There is also a lot more risk of infection or the whole thing turning quickly into vinegar. I never have the time to do it but Ive always wanted to try cultivating natural yeasts , growing them in juice to a certain point where alcohol is high enough to kill off everything but the most tolerant yeast and then repeating the process a few times to wind up with a strain of highly tolerant natural yeast and somewhat sterile of any problem organisms. " Should " be as trustworthy as store bought yeast I would think , but different. Im not sure exactly what this would accomplish but its an interesting experiment.

Done a few wild ferments. Never had a bad batch, one was probably the best cider I've ever made in a carboy. Once they get going, they're just as robust as a commercial strain, but tend to peter out earlier.

You'll be fine.

Back