Wild yeast after freezing(I want it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about wild cider fermentation. I have 3 gallons of fresh pressed unpasteurized cider in the freezer. I pressed it myself from previously frozen apples. I'm hoping to thaw it out, dump it in a fermenter and let the wild yeast do its thing, but I dont know if it being frozen(twice) will have affected the yeast's ability to fully ferment it. I couldn't find a direct answer about this. I figure its probably fine but I've never done a wild fermentation with cider before so I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it should take to start. Also don't know if maybe I should be stirring it a couple times a day for the first few days to help get oxygen to the yeast?

Anyways, any input is appreciated!

Thanks

I do all my wine with wild yeast, and usually about half the fruit in the must is from frozen. However, I don't think a 100% frozen fruit must would be viable. I have read that freezing kills about 3/4 of the yeast. All I know is my ferment does not get started until I add some fresh picked berries to the frozen ones.

So I would suggest going out into your orchard and trying to find a few apples, pears, or even berries to add to the frozen so you have some active, healthy yeast. Since you only need a little, it does not matter what fruit you add. Whatever is available and has a healthy yeast bloom.

So I would suggest going out into your orchard and trying to find a few apples, pears, or even berries to add to the frozen so you have some active, healthy yeast. Since you only need a little, it does not matter what fruit you add. Whatever is available and has a healthy yeast bloom.

I would say getting the juice from said fruit would be even better, as I've had a moldy experience with just throwing bits of apple into commercial juice years ago when I was trying to get a wild ferment.

Last edited:
Frozen twice the cell count is probably very low.

I would pitch some yeast to avoid mold.

Ok thanks for the replies.

I'm just gonna pitch yeast to be sure with the frozen batch I think. When I do press fresh apples and do a wild ferment, does it make sense to add a half dose of sulfites to the must? I'm thinking I may try a batch with and a batch without. I just don't know how long I should expect to wait with a wild ferment for it to start. Definitely excited about trying without commercial yeast, talked to a guy today who said all the ones he's done have turned out wonderfully!

Ok thanks for the replies.

I'm just gonna pitch yeast to be sure with the frozen batch I think. When I do press fresh apples and do a wild ferment, does it make sense to add a half dose of sulfites to the must? I'm thinking I may try a batch with and a batch without. I just don't know how long I should expect to wait with a wild ferment for it to start. Definitely excited about trying without commercial yeast, talked to a guy today who said all the ones he's done have turned out wonderfully!

When I do wild ferments, I sometimes use 1 gallon of entirely blemish free, rinsed apples as a starter (no sulfites at all) and use that to inoculate a larger batch that I have added a little bit of sulfite to. Just trying to minimize any possible unfavorable microorganisms

I have had good success with wild ferments. But the only "failures" were with perry. Some of that came out pretty funky. But it was still drinkable, and some of my friends even enjoyed that level of funk.

Back