Wild Leap or Scofflaw clones? (down in Georgia)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosB

Berserker
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of spending the last two months down in Georgia and now feel the state is the underdog of craft beer. Wild Leap and Scofflaw have made me a believer in NEIPA and there aren't many available overseas in my current location.

I may contact the brewery to ask for tips but is anyone familiar with these brews?

Wild Leap - Chance IPA, Rockweave Double IPA, ETA Transcontinental IPA, and Alpha Abstraction Series (specifically Vol. 8).

Any guesses on the yeast? I feel like they must be using the same yeast on all their IPA's that gives it the specific taste I find present in each one. and lots of oats, whirlpooling, and dry hopping.

Also looking for something similar to Scofflaw - Basement IPA.

Closest thing to a NEIPA I've brewed is a DDH Pseudo Sue clone I did with Coastal Haze Ale yeast but I still cold crashed and fined with gelatin. Leaving those steps out next time and dry hopping earlier (during active fermentation, day 2).

I took great care to limit oxygen exposure during fermentation (while dry hopping) and after (pressure transfer to purged keg), I still feel like I'm not yielding the same intense flavors from dry hopping. Not sure if craft brewers are doing pressurized fermentation or if it's just a difference in ingredients and fresh hop pellets.

Clearly I need more experience and it's not all recipe but if anyone else is a fan, let's talk Wild Leap / Scofflaw. I need more beer like this in my life.

for reference:

http://www.wildleap.com/our-beers/

https://scofflawbeer.com/basement.html

other honorable mention for great Georgia beer.. Creature Comforts - Tropicalia

not a Georgia beer (Michigan) but greatly enjoyed while I was stateside - Old Nation Brewing - M-43 IPA

Last edited:
So I live in GA but used to live on the west coast and I have to respectfully disagree. GA is in its early stages of the craft beer revolution because it was essentially just legalized here. There are indeed a few breweries trying some crazy experiments, and a few very good breweries (Three Taverns) but for the most part the average quality of beer is far lower than elsewhere in the nation.

If you want a NEIPA recipe that knocks the socks off of anything in Georgia I would recommend Captains Daughter from Grey Sail brewing in Rhode Island. It's absolutely exemplary of the style IMO with no grassy sulfery or vegital notes that are so common in NEIPA's that I only really like 1 in 10 that I try

Back