Wild game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blh3d

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good wild game recipes? I mostly eat deer turkey squirrel dove frog legs etc. Just looking for some different options on fixin em up

I hunt elk every year and when I'm fortunate to have a freezer full, my wife makes tgis recipe.

I've made country fried squirrel & rabbit that even my kids liked. About the same recipe as KFC kinda thing. Or a venison steak in a blackened cast iron skillet with onions,peppers & mushrooms. Just some salt,pepper & garlic in a little bacon fat with a bit of oil to keep it from burning.

Both of those sound delicious. I have some turkey breast and bbq sauce in the slow cooker for supper tonight and with muzzle loader season right around the corner hopefully ill be able to try your recipes out soon.

Making a pheasant paella right now. You could easily do it with dove. Should be easy. Brown meat with some Spanish chirizo, then rice with some chicken broth and some saffron. Then add some green and kalamata olives with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, maybe peas. Cook maybe 20
Minutes and good to go.

pheasant prune ballotines- this is not too difficult and is incredibly good, but don't skip the brine!
get pheasant breasts, and brine them in ~4% salt ~4% sugar in cold water for a couple hours. rinse and pat them dry. place a pheasant breast between two pieces of cling film and hammer it kind of flat with a rolling pin, but not so flat it gets translucent. just make it uniform ~1cm. remove the top layer of cling film, and salt and pepper the meat. meanwhile stew some dried prunes in sherry/red wine 50/50, or port, or something similar, drain the prunes when they are soft. line a row of them up on the pheasant (along the long axis), and roll it up like a teenager rolling a bad joint. keep it very tight within the cling film, roll so in the end it's covered by a few layers (use another piece if necessary). you get better at this with each one you roll. heat a pot of water or water bath to 70C (343.15K) and plunk in the rolled bird for 10 minutes. meanwhile reduce the wine down to make a sauce, and prepare whatever side dishes you are having. just before serving heat some butter to very hot in a frying pan. carefully unwrap the pheasant rolls and pat them dry with paper towels. salt and pepper them, and fry very quickly in hot butter, spooning it over them so they brown nicely. once browned, remove to a paper towel briefly, then slice into nice little sections. finish the sauce, eat it.

forgot to say to tie off the ends when you finish rolling. first twist down each end to tighten, then tie it off with a simple knot and cut off the excess plastic. they should be tight and watertight.

Pheasant dont live in my area so i may have to use a different bird. What kind of meat do the have ?

Pepper crusted Elk Tenderloin (you can also used deer tenderloin or backstrap) with lemon butter

Seasoning

1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder.

Mix all the spices together and set aside

For the lemon butter

4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and mix until butter is whipped, place in plastic wrap and roll into log. Set in fridge until the whipped butter sets up.

Cooking

Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Pat whole tenderloin dry and rub the spice mixture over all sides of the loin, coating evenly. Shake off excess, coat the pan with EVOO and sear on all sides for approximately 2 minutes or until a good sear is achieved. Place loin in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for approximately 15 minutes or until desired temperature is achieved being careful not to overcook (Elk is lean and will overcook quickly). Let meat rest for a few minutes before serving.

Slice the loin into 3/4" pieces and serve place prepared butter on top, and enjoy

Venison stew:

3 pounds of venison, cubed
1 cup baby carrots
4-5 large potatoes, cubed
3-4 onions, sliced
~bottle of red wine
salt and pepper
dried rosemary
dried parsley
couple bay leaves
1 package onion soup mix

Add flour to a ziplockbag and season with some salt. Place meat in the bag and toss until evenly coated with flour. Toss in a hot, oiled skillet and brown on all sides, then toss in your slow cooker. Throw the onions in the same skillet and cook until translucent, then toss in the slow cooker along with the rest of the veggies. Place the skillet back on the burner and add some red wine to deglaze the pan, then add that to the cooker.

Add some red wine to a container with the onion soup mix, stir until dissolved then add to the slow cooker. Then add the rest of the wine and the herbs. Cook on high for 30 minutes then reduce heat to low and cook for six hours. Thicken the stew by dissolving ~2 table spoons of flour in water and then adding to cooker. Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes.

yum! i wonder how that would be as a flemish / venison hybrid stew?? for the flemish beef stew i flour the beef and brown as the above recipe, slow cook with lots of dark malty beer and mostly the same herbs and veggies as above, but thyme instead of rosemary, thicken with flour, and a splash of malt vinegar at the end. sometimes dried mushrooms as well since i dry lot of porcini in the autumn. i serve with an island of creamy mashed potatoes mixed with homemade zuurkool (=sauerkraut but not in german!). i'm going to try with venison next time! making me hungry

Me and the old man just finished making 25 pounds of deer summer sausage. I gotta say for our first attempt we were really happy with the outcome.

I did this a couple of weekends ago:

Rolled a caribou tenderloin in some fresh ground pepper, Hawaiian Sea salt, rosemary, thyme, sage and stuffed some garlic cloves into slits. I had it with some baby potatoes from our garden this past fall and a simple spinach salad.

I also like organ meat:
Recipe for chopped moose liver (adapted this from a friend's chopped liver recipe):

1 lb. moose liver
1 small to medium onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic
small bunch parsley
2 hard boiled eggs
1/4 c. bacon grease
salt and black pepper to taste

Chop liver, 1/2 of the onion and garlic, to a fine chop. Heat half the bacon grease in a pan, saute livers and the chopped vegetables until brown. Finely chop the liver mixture, eggs and the other half onion. Add the rest of the bacon grease, blend with a spoon or spatula to a relatively smooth consistency. Add more if needed. Add salt and pepper (I use fresh ground black pepper) to taste. Put in refrigerator for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley; serve.
I like to serve with Rye or Sourdough toast.

Roasted it in the oven to a nice medium rare, according to my meat thermometer it at 144F in the center when I took it out. I let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.
The reason I cooked it in the oven; it was -22F outside and I didn't feel like trying to get my barbcue going.

So i shot a buck yesterday and decided i would keep the heart and liver. Any good recipes for either of those

So i shot a buck yesterday and decided i would keep the heart and liver. Any good recipes for either of those
Grilled Heart (I usually have Moose or Caribou)
deer heart
Olive Oil
Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Thyme
Onion
Couple Cloves of Garlic
Maybe some Worcestershire Sauce
(all measurements are to taste)

1. Trim the heart, cut it so it lays relatively flat and has a nearly even thickness, for even grilling. In a large bowl, mix olive oil, few dashs of Worcestershire sauce, thyme; chop garlic and onion very small (or use the powdered form) and mix this all together. Massage this into the meat, put everything into a container that can just about hold everything and marinate for a couple hours or overnight.
2. Grill it on high heat. Put the heart on and leave it alone with the grill cover open for 7 - 8 minutes. Flip it over and grill, uncovered, for 4 - 5 more minutes. You're looking for medium rare - not dried out leather!
3. If the heart is not cooked through yet, cover the grill and cook for 2-5 more minutes. If you are using a thermometer, you want to get the meat off the grill when it is 135F - 140F degrees in the center. You can also use the finger test for doneness.
4.Cover the heart loosely with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper and good sea salt at the table.
Serve with roasted red potatoes (olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, sprinkle and mix with fine chopped herbs at serving) and I personally like it with Stouts or Porters.

Stir-fried Heart
Heart
4 sticks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon sweet basil (dried & crushed)
About 2 thumbs of fresh ginger root, peeled. (piece of ginger about the size of both your thumbs) Sliced matchstick style.
5 chopped scallions, including the green tops.
3 cloves garlic, minced.
Juice of 1 lemon
Soy sauce
1 teaspoon rooster sauce OR garlic/chili paste (or to taste)
1 tablespoon honey

Slice heart into (roughly) 2" X 3/4" pieces, about 1/4" thick
Heat wok over high heat with dark sesame oil (or your fav high heat oil) heat it till the oil starts to smoke. Use the oil liberally, I don't measure it, I just pour it in, add more if the meat starts to stick.

Add celery, garlic & ginger to hot oil in wok (a skillet works too) and stir. Keep it moving for about 2-3 minutes. Add the meat & stir often, make sure everything gets coated with oil. Add about a tablespoon of SWEET basil (dried & crushed), if it doesn't say "sweet" on the label, it's not what you want for this. You can also use 5 or 6 fresh leaves of Thai basil instead.

Keep going for a few minutes, I never timed it, but it doesn't take long. When the meat is about done, add the scallions, rooster sauce & lemon juice, stir constantly & quickly for about another minute or 2.

Now add the soy sauce, I never measure this either, I just shake it in straight from the bottle, about 11 shakes of Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce is what I use, so however much that is.

You have to stir fast now, cuz the soy sauce will start to caramelize as soon as it hits the hot wok. As soon as it starts to thicken, remove from heat & add the honey, just drizzle it all over & stir it in well.

I like to serve this over rice or noodles (a tablespoon of hot madras curry in the rice does wonders!) Sometimes I serve it with stir-fried red (purple) cabbage too, just sliced cabbage, stir-fried till it turns blue with a dash of lemon juice & soy sauce at the very end of cooking. The cabbage is done when it turns blue. A little black pepper and a couple pinches of tarragon go into the cabbage while cooking.
Enjoy! :mug:
Regards, GF.

It works well for me, but it makes it kind of tough to tell others "use X amount."
Regards, GF.

I agree, that's why I like to include comments like "to taste" because each of us tastes things a little differently. If it was a recipe handed down to me I'll often list the ingredients as my Mother or Grandmother listed them, but far more frequently, from both of them, the recipe merely says 'a dash' or ' a pinch' and so forth, so 'to taste' seems to work best.
Thanks for the Stir Fry Recipe, GF!

I have tried a couple of different things lately. I put a dry rub on a deer neck roast then put it in the oven at 200 degrees for about ten hours. I then shredded it like pulled pork and put bbq sauce on it. Turned out pretty nice. Today I sliced up the heart and made fajitas with it. Another good meal. Oh and ground deer tacos were a hit. I think my 15 month old boy was the biggest fan of them

Back