Wild Concord Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just bottled 4g of wild grape wine. When it was made, instead of crushing the grapes we used a mixer...mistake.

I let it bulk age for about 3 months before bottling. I drank what wouldnt fit in a bottle and its straight alcohol. It has an off taste, not vinegar just funky.

What are your thoughts on this ageing out? I know the alcohol well mellow a bit, but since we used a mixer on the grapes, did that cause the off taste?

So I just bottled 4g of wild grape wine. When it was made, instead of crushing the grapes we used a mixer...mistake.

I let it bulk age for about 3 months before bottling. I drank what wouldnt fit in a bottle and its straight alcohol. It has an off taste, not vinegar just funky.

What are your thoughts on this ageing out? I know the alcohol well mellow a bit, but since we used a mixer on the grapes, did that cause the off taste?

Using a mixer is probably not the cause, unless you crushed a ton of of seeds along with the skins. The seeds don't taste very good, and can be very bitter.

It could be "hot" tasting due to high alcohol, but if it tastes "off", it's probably something else like oxidation.

Brewer_Jonathan said:
I'd go with the oxidation route.... Any chance that ages out or is it a goner?

Some of the oxidation taste can be obsorbed by dry milk powder. Mix it in and let it settle out. Rack off and taste. I don't remember the amount of milk powder. Maybe the JackKeller web page has the info.
Too bad you bottled it befor trying it. Some people like the oxadized flavore. So far every wine I made that was yucky has found a person that liked it. Luckily for me that was only two batches!

FYI-

Oxidized or whatever wine taste like shizzzzz. I drank some today, only a week old, but it's hard to swallow. Distill??!!??!!

Back