why would a pre-assembled kit....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
contain both LME and DME???

with my last batch I used both, (following the back bone on a pre-assembled kit I once used from brewers best.)

changing up speciality grains, and adding an additional 2 lbs of brown sugar to kick the gravity up and "tweak" the recipe.

doing a search on "DME vs LME" I have seem to find the results:

DME will give you more gravity, and offer more potential sugar pound vs. pound and LME giving you more color.

so why would a pre-assm. kit offer both???

To get the correct gravity. Most dme comes in 1, 3, or 5 lb increments. Lme comes in 3.3 lb cans or is poured into a container (my lhbs containers are 7 lb) with a certain amount. Some recipes make use of the oddities in sizing to make the correct gravity.

I've personally found it easier to do a late extract addition with dme vs lme. Since the dme clumps at the top I just slowly add it in as it boils. If you try it do so at your own risk, I've never scorched extract but I'm sure others have doing this. The lme would just drop to the bottom and instantly scorch if it were on heart still

I've personally found it easier to do a late extract addition with dme vs lme. Since the dme clumps at the top I just slowly add it in as it boils. If you try it do so at your own risk, I've never scorched extract but I'm sure others have doing this. The lme would just drop to the bottom and instantly scorch if it were on heart still

Just add it at flame out. No concern with scorching.

In the book 'Designing Great Beers' by Ray Daniels, he notes that dry extract is easier to handle, is easier to weigh out specific amounts with, and stores better then LME. He did note that in the studies they did that LME had better flavor. So it is recommended by him, in extract-heavy batches, to use LME for the bulk of a recipe and then use DME for fine tuning gravity.

DME and LME are used in combination for the flavor and color of the style. The amount used is for the ABV. Steeping grains may be used to enhance the flavor, color, and also adding body if it is needed for the style.

Just add it at flame out. No concern with scorching.

I was doing it at 15 for sanitary reasons, but now that I think about it it might be silly. Still, after having to dump 5.5 gallons due to infection I might just keep it up for security

I was doing it at 15 for sanitary reasons, but now that I think about it it might be silly. Still, after having to dump 5.5 gallons due to infection I might just keep it up for security

It stays too hot for infection, but cools it a little; just enough to add hops for a hop stand for 30 minutes.

It stays too hot for infection, but cools it a little; just enough to add hops for a hop stand for 30 minutes.

I just always ended adding anything at the moment I ended the boil. I started doing PM though and just do 3-3.3 lbs depending on if I'm using dme/lme, so I see the point doing it like that, I'll have to give that a try.

In AE beers, I use DME in the boil because it's less susceptible to maillard reactions (darkening, twang). LME goes in @ flame out if I can help it to keep color lighter & flavor cleaner. And adding remaining extract right after the boil ends is perfectly safe. Since the wort is still boiling hot, about 212F & pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, you don't need to boil to sanitize the late extract additions. I do this with my pb/pm biab beers as well. Mash 4-6lbs+ of grains, sparge to boil volume & use that for hop additions. Add the extract at flame out to get to OG. So in my opinion, DME is better to use in the boil than LME. LME gives different flavor qualities than DME in my experiences. Using both can also round out the flavor, imo. also.

Cost.

LME is cheaper and has a shorter shelf life. Sales for LME (excluding when it is forced upon you in a kit) are also likely to be lower than DME because of the shelf life, the weird taste it offers, and the darker color that it gives beers.

Like I've said many times, you can avoid the weird taste & dark colors from maillard reactions by using the late extract addition method with LME's. @-3lbs in a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 gallon boil for hop additions. Then add the remainder @ flame out & stir well to thoroughly mix. LME is cheaper than DME, but LME has more variety. DME just doesn't darken in the boil like LME does. DME also doesn't sink straight to the bottom when you add it & the clumps can be stirred out easy enough.

Back