Why use carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is, when fermentation is finished, and no more CO2 is being produced by the yeast in the wort, you might not get a thick enough blanket over the wort to protect it from getting oxidized... IF you use a smaller vessel/carboy/keg, then there's less volume to fill with CO2... You can also use a CO2 supply to top off the vessel, IF you have gas on hand.

IMO, it's far easier to simply to leave the wort/beer in primary for the duration. Not racking into another vessel means you don't remove it from the CO2 blanket covering the wort/brew that's already there.

Once you get past feeling the need to look at the wort fermenting, you can shift over to SS fermenters. :rockin: I picked up four 1/6 Sanke kegs for $100 not too long ago. I also have a 5 gallon corny keg to use as a primary (picked it up before the LHBS increased the price of corny kegs)...

BTW, you only want to add oxygen to the wort before you pitch the yeast (or in the first ~12 hours for really big beers)...

thatnks for all the info .. sorry if my questions are silly .. I'm just asking things as they pop into my head .. this is the most helpful place ever though ... :ban:

I personally don’t care to see the yeast do its thing. I have a insulated box that I built to put my wort into during fermentation to keep it at a good temperature. This is because the SWMBO says that there is no room for it to sit in the corner or (my) closet. So I stash it in the basement.
Anyways, if you’re worried about scrubbing the bucket, don’t. Simple as that. I rinse everything I use out with hot water. Then take 1 scoop of Oxi-Clean per 5gal. of water and let it soak for 24-48 hrs. After that, I rinse everything with cold water and store it till my next brew day.

And how about all the top wineries and trappist breweries changing their packaging to plastic since it is just like glass and can be aged for years or decades...what, you mean they didn't change to plastic? I wonder why;)

Do synthetic corks count?
Of course the wines I drink come in a box so what do I know!

Back