Why sometimes small wort size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I've seen a couple recipes now that call for a much smaller wort size than the end product...for example a 2 gal wort for a standard 5 gal batch. Is there a reason for this? Does it change the end product somehow? Or is it more a practical thing (i.e. the biggest pot I have is 2.5 gal!)

I think it gives you options on the instructions on those kits . It says 2.5 but I've done 3 or 4 gallon wort size . I just add less water at the end . Maybe someone knows why but I think because it's an extract where the kit comes with containers of LME and such.

It is a practical thing. This is for people brewing on the kitchen stove. You don't need to boil as much volume so it's just quicker and easier and doesn't require as large a kettle. Then you should dilute the beer down with distilled water to make up the remaining volume.

I've seen a couple recipes now that call for a much smaller wort size than the end product...for example a 2 gal wort for a standard 5 gal batch. Is there a reason for this? Does it change the end product somehow? Or is it more a practical thing (i.e. the biggest pot I have is 2.5 gal!)

With extract-based recipes (especially in kits), there is a "partial boil" process. For those who brew indoors on stove tops, it makes it practical to brew many styles five gallons at a time. http://beerandwinejournal.com/extract-boil-volume/ is a good starting point for additional information.

Latest posts

Back