Why so expensive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thought it would be cool to build one completely out of brick as part of an outdoor kitchen. You know, with a smoker, grill and everything all built in.

Neat idea, but if you are like me, you'll tweak things several times before you get to some sort of stabilization and even you think...hmmm..I think I can do this better, or add this, etc. Something that permanent in brick would likely become limiting in the future.

hell if I had the money, premier stainless all the way.

tradeshow_2_big.jpg

I found this setup, it actually seems to be close to reasonable in price. It does include the kettles and all kettle fittings you see in the pic. Throw a pump on there and you good to go.

Synergy Metalworking Custom Metal Fabrication

That looks like a painters, sheet rockers scaffolding with tier steps added.
Looks great vs those 2" x 2" 1/4" wall thickness all stainless school bus lift stands I have seen built. My winery in lab wine quality control tester makes the best homebrews out of plastic buckets and laughs after seeing the over the top price systems manufactures have on the market these days besides what he has seen on brew forum brewing systems members have come up with.

Overall I see this as a big market rather high production items, there are many homebrewers around the world. I do not buy that low production reply causing the high costs. Highly skilled workers, one good Tig welder working full time and an electrician or someone who can follow wire colors doing the same wiring over and over again being cheap labor english not required. When there is a demand for an item that the general public can not manufacture by themselves they the manufactures can ask those crazy high prices and get it. It's a item many people want that may not have the ability alone the equipment to build their own brewing systems hence they have to buy the "got ya" price. Unless you already have a Tig machine, band saws, chop saws, (cold saw would be great), plasma cutter, grinders and the ability to use the equipment then the only costs would be fitting, pumps, temp probes, plumbing, must add painting unless only powder coating a must have finish item, stand material and the needed heat source equipment of your choice. Labors free but the love of building a brewing system to your own design, this alone is priceless. This is how I see it after working in different manufacturing plants for 30 years as a electrican. Front office area a college educated person or the engineers in a room nearby,in the back working assembly area a room full of non speaking cheap labor workers. I have worked in many building seeing this over and over again first hand. This is not in the sticks but around the San Francisco bay area. Sorry I had to chime in on this one. Ya can't blow smoke up my rear orifice on this one. JMO's.

That looks like a painters, sheet rockers scaffolding with tier steps added.
Looks great vs those 2" x 2" 1/4" wall thickness all stainless school bus lift stands I have seen built. My winery lab worker makes the best homebrews out of plastic buckets and laughs afte seeing the over the top price systems manufactures have on the market besides what he has seen on brew forum brewing systems members have cone up with.

Overall I see this as a big market rather high production item, there are many homebrewers around the world. I do not buy that low production answer causing the high costs. Highly skilled workers, one good Tig welder working full time and an electrician ot someone who can follow wire colors being cheap labor english not required. When there is a demand for an item that the general public can not manufacture by themselves they the manufactures can ask those crazy high prices and get it. It's a item many people want that may not have the ability alone the equipment to build their own brewing systems hence they have to buy the "got ya" price. Unless you already have a Tig machine, band saws, chop saws, (cold saw would be great), plasma cutter, grinders and the ability to use the equipment then the only costs would be fitting, pumps, temp probes, plumbing, must add painting unless only powder coating a must have finish item and the heat source equipment of your choice. Labors free but the love of building a brewing system to your own design, this alone is priceless. This how I see it after working in different manufacturing plants for 30 years as a electrican. Front office area a college educated person or the engineers in a room nearby,in the back working assembly area a room full of non speaking cheap labor workers. I have worked in many building seeing this over and over first hand. This is not in the sticks but around the San Francisco bay area. Sorry I had to chime in on this one.

So I am gleaning two things from your post.

1. Someone could produce a system comparable to morebeer or sabco, sell it for less, and still make a profit.

2. You would rather have less money than more, and this is why you aren't doing #1.

So I am gleaning two things from your post.

1. Someone could produce a system comparable to morebeer or sabco, sell it for less, and still make a profit.

2. You would rather have less money than more, and this is why you aren't doing #1.

For your first of "two things from your post" that was my post above, I have no intentions to be in the manufacturing business just build my own system that fits my needs.

For your second statement "You would rather have less money than more". Please explain how this has any connection with me building my own brewing system? I don't fully understand?

i built my brew rig for about $1800.00 i come from a mechanical back round, i enjoy equipment, controls, welding and building nice things.

i can understand the bragging rights that you can brew a great beer with a trash can and a garden hose, but when you have the resources and skills its fun to built a nice rig, other people have the money and enjoy quailty equipment.

nobody is right or wrong but don't slam a nice rig, if you enjoy your trash can then more power to you, but don't rip on a person that likes a great rig.

Nick

I do not think that 5k is too bad a deal for the Sabco since it comes complete as opposed to B3 which is add on after add on. Well once I sell my house and get a much smaller house I might look into the Sabco. I do not have a lot of toys with the exception of my computers. I can see myself dropping 5K someday.

Not sure what system you're looking at but with all the add-ons minus Stainless Steel frame, the B3 1100 (10 gallon) system was cheaper by up to a few hundred dollars.
$2850 base+$1350 (Full Digital Smart)+$280 (Counterflow, save $100+ if you prefer immersion or plate)+$675 (Full Digital Gas)+$40 (diverter/maximizer option)+$36 (boil kettle themometer)+$80 (boil kettle screen)=$5311 ($4935 for 1550)... Sabco is $5590.

Neat idea, but if you are like me, you'll tweak things several times before you get to some sort of stabilization and even you think...hmmm..I think I can do this better, or add this, etc. Something that permanent in brick would likely become limiting in the future.

Yeah, you are probably right. That could lower the resale value of the house too. Unless you could come up with something modular?

If I was going to dish out cash for a turn key system, I'd go PICO, for value and efficency.

Being the stubborn 'I'd rather do it myself even if it ain't as quality', I plan to build or modify everything I do myself, just because.

pico - Brewing Systems Inc.

CRAFT Home Brew Club Pico System

If I was going to drop cash on a rig, it wouldn't be using an IC. That "rig" just looks like 3 turkey fryers, 3 pots, and a chiller. What most people have before going the rig route. Not bashing it, just not my idea of a "rig".

Wow this thread really took on a life of it's own.. I have ultimately decided to go the "Build it myself" route adhering to a piece of advice my grandfather gave me before he died "If you can buy 2x the materials + the tools for the price of the finished product, built it yourself. Then you can screw it up once and still have another shot at it, but in the end you still have the tools.."..

I appreciate everyone's input and advice.. I am going to start another thread walking through the collection of components and the build.. I would certainly appreciate evreyones collective input as this thing develops..

JT

Wow this thread really took on a life of it's own.. I have ultimately decided to go the "Build it myself" route adhering to a piece of advice my grandfather gave me before he died "If you can buy 2x the materials + the tools for the price of the finished product, built it yourself. Then you can screw it up once and still have another shot at it, but in the end you still have the tools..".....

Your grandfather was a wise man. I chuckled a bit as I read it all the while seeing a great deal of truth in what he said.
Kudos to the older generation! :mug:

I appreciate everyone's input and advice.. I am going to start another thread walking through the collection of components and the build.. I would certainly appreciate evreyones collective input as this thing develops..

JT

Looking forward to it.

And it doesnt have cost an arm and a leg. Only a arm

complete_004.jpg

Not sure what system you're looking at but with all the add-ons minus Stainless Steel frame, the B3 1100 (10 gallon) system was cheaper by up to a few hundred dollars.
$2850 base+$1350 (Full Digital Smart)+$280 (Counterflow, save $100+ if you prefer immersion or plate)+$675 (Full Digital Gas)+$40 (diverter/maximizer option)+$36 (boil kettle themometer)+$80 (boil kettle screen)=$5311 ($4935 for 1550)... Sabco is $5590.

I think B3 will give you sanitary fittings if you ask and you would need to add that to have the systems as comparable as possible.

I would suggest you try to build one of these systems and keep track of costs. Then pay yourself a welder/designer wage figure in shop costs, and see how much it costs. I recently built my rims system and its amazing how many hours not to mention dollars I tied up.

I would suggest you try to build one of these systems and keep track of costs. Then pay yourself a welder/designer wage figure in shop costs, and see how much it costs. I recently built my rims system and its amazing how many hours not to mention dollars I tied up.

I did this very thing. I have all the receipts from beginning to end saved in a folder. Save for about 3 receipts that i need to add in, i know my exact cost to the penny for the original build. I have since made a few mods that were less than $100. I don't consider this part of the cost as I didn't need to make the changes. It was a redesign after the fact and had I done it originally, it would have lowered my original investment.

I think B3 will give you sanitary fittings if you ask and you would need to add that to have the systems as comparable as possible.

Perhaps, though it does come with their own line of Stainless disconnects I believe. Does the Sabco have a chilling system though? I'm sure the $280 I quoted would more than make up the cost of triclamps, if it's even necessary... some actually hate them.

i built my brew rig for about $1800.00 i come from a mechanical back round, i enjoy equipment, controls, welding and building nice things.

i can understand the bragging rights that you can brew a great beer with a trash can and a garden hose, but when you have the resources and skills its fun to built a nice rig, other people have the money and enjoy quailty equipment.

nobody is right or wrong but don't slam a nice rig, if you enjoy your trash can then more power to you, but don't rip on a person that likes a great rig.

Nick

You build an awesome rig and all of a sudden the rest of us are brewing with a garden hose and a trash bucket? :D;) I would love to have a rig similar to yours, but I don't have the resources to build one. And regardless if you build your own or buy a pre-built rig it's the end result that counts, no matter the cost.:mug:

Hey Chimone...

Did you add the 'glow of light' in the background to make that look more heavenly, or were you just lucky:mug:

dude, god himself came down and hooked me up with the backlighting. He said I make him proud by brewing all this great beer, and it's the least he could do for me. :tank:

Back