Why must my city make me wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I was just looking over my city's annual water quality report and saw that it said the water hardness was only 80ppm. Remembering all the testing I did when I first set up my fish tank a couple of years ago I scoffed at this, the hardness was about 200ppm.

I was going to come here and complain about the water quality report being wrong, but on a whim I decided to test it again using my own equipment, and what do I see, a hardness level of only about 80ppm.

The quality report also mentions that they have a new water treatment plant that uses membrane filtration, maybe that has something to do with it.

One thing that worries me ever so slightly is that they don't list current sodium levels, they list it for 2006, everything else listed is current...

Your best bet is to contact the Lab Manager at the treatment plant that serves your area. They usually generate a monthly chemical analysis that will give youe everything and more that you'd need for your water profile.

It takes persistence and politeness to get it but it is worth it and I am sure it exists.

Otherwise, you get a generic water quality report that is useless for brewing and shows annual averages at best.

somewhere down the line I'll probably try to get a more accurate water profile, but in this case I was just looking to see if the water is treated with chloramine. It appears that it isn't.

somewhere down the line I'll probably try to get a more accurate water profile, but in this case I was just looking to see if the water is treated with chloramine. It appears that it isn't.

Can you be sure?

Even my chemistry analysis doesn;t list chloramine. Only chlorine levels but, I am assured by the lab manager that they do in fact bind ammonia in-line at the plant thus delivering chloramine.

Back