Why is Stone IPA so good? Anyone have a good clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
If you know of a good clone recipe for this is one I need to brew it. Second to only Bells Two hearted Ale this beer is my favorite! On number 3 right now:)

Stone Clone
5.25 gal
80% brew house efficiency
OG 1.070
FG 1.015
IBU 68.7
Color 7.3 SRM

10 lbs 4.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 81.1 %
1 lbs 6.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 11.2 %
15.6 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 7.7 %
1.36 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 49.4 IBUs
1.02 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 13.8 IBUs
1.02 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) [11.5g]
0.95 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.32 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes
Ferment @ 68* for 2 weeks

Two hearted ale and Stone IPA are both Centennial heavy, it's no surprise you like them.

The recipe above is close, needs a couple changes to be exact:
-Stone uses an English yeast. WLP007 is dead on. Use it if you can find it.
-No Munich and less crystal.
-They use Crystal 15, but 20 is definitely close enough, just use less, 12-16oz is plenty. 22oz is too much.
-Add 1oz extra at 5min of Centennial

Two hearted ale and Stone IPA are both Centennial heavy, it's no surprise you like them.

The recipe above is close, needs a couple changes to be exact:
-Stone uses an English yeast. WLP007 is dead on. Use it if you can find it.
-No Munich and less crystal.
-They use Crystal 15, but 20 is definitely close enough, just use less, 12-16oz is plenty. 22oz is too much.
-Add 1oz extra at 5min of Centennial

English yeast? That doesn't seem right, especially for an IPA.
You sure 'bout this?

hmm..just got done reading some of the reviews on white labs site, seems you are right scottland, this appears to be a good yeast for IPA's. I'll have to give it a try.

english yeasts clean up well and really let the hop and light malt character shine through. good for IPAs (i mean, it was orginally an english style)

although US-05 works well IMO.

why does BYO's recipe use Magnum and Perle, when Stone's website specifically states that they use Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial?

why does BYO's recipe use Magnum and Perle, when Stone's website specifically states that they use Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial?

those recipes are from 2008, stone used to bitter almost all their beers with magnum and have since switched over to Columbus, not sure about the Perle, but breweries change recipes every now and then.

Availability and price dictate hop choices. With the bittering you wouldn't know the difference with the switch they made. Could also be they switched to using extract for bittering which in the case of some vendors is Columbus (CTZ).

Boil the snot out of the bittering hops...forget about brand name label stereotypes. let the hops break down and leave just the bitter. Centennial and Cascade would be my prime choices for cloning a stone product. Also consider other hop varietals simply labled CTZ...Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus...No biggie.

The big brewers compromise price with what hops to contract. If there is not a big difference in the lab tastes they'll use any hop that can be bought in bulk for a secure price break.

I doubt most of us could identify 10 different hops in blind tastings with 95 percent accuracy...Sure some of us could...but many of us might not be able to.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm going to be trying to brew one of these soon. I've got a lot of beer to clear out of my kegerator first to make room.

Back