Why is my FG going up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Guinness clone with 6 row and roasted barley, used WLP Irish Ale.. I'm fermenting in a Spike conical and using a Tilt to record the gravity. Post boil was 1.047 and it steadily went down to 1.004, kind of low but then it start going up and had a fairly steady rise back to 1.014? The Tilt can give some one time off readings but this seems like a pattern. Does anyone know what's going on? Here's the log Guiness (YELLOW TILT).

Tilts do funny things. I think I’ve seen this behavior before. 1.004 isn’t really a reasonable reading anyhow unless you’re using extra enzymes. As usual: wait until it really flattens out, plus at least a few more days, then double check the reading with a hydrometer or refractometer when you’re packaging.

I took a sample and checked it with my easydens, came out to 1.011 while the tilt now went up to 1.016. Beersmith 3 predicted a FG of 1.010.

My Tilt sometimes does that as the krausen falls, as yeast begins to flocculate, or (as @GilSwillBasementBrews stated), CO2 collects on the side of the Tilt. Sometimes you can nudge your fermenter to "reswing" the Tilt, but I'd just leave it alone. It will become more accurate as fermentation finishes and everything settles out.

I've found that the Tilt is pretty accurate (or accurate enough) before and after active fermentation. Everything in the middle is just showing you a trend.

Back