Why is my brew tangy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDQ

Reaction score
I think I'm doing everything right, cleanliness, temperatures, etc. I bottles or legged I seem to have a common tang/sour taste that I would really like to get rid of. Maybe 4 or 5 batches have had this characteristic.

My hypothesis currently is that I'm sloppy with the racking cane and picking up too much trubb.

What say the forum?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What kind of recipe, extract, extract with grains, partial mash, all grain? Extract is known for what is called extract twang which can lead to that off flavor. So can bad fermentation temps. The more your can tell us about the recipe and you process, the better the help.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Without more details, it sounds like a too-high fermentation temperature and/or a too high pitching temperature. Lowering the fermentation temperature to the mid 60s would fix that, if that is the case.

It's an all grain English bitter. Danstar Nottingjam Ale yeast. Cooled it down to about 72 degrees. Shook the Carboy for about a minute to aerate and pitched the yeast. Fermented at about 67 degrees in a water bath with a wet t shirt. Racked to a keg after 2 weeks in primary.
Thank you for the question!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool it down further before pitching. Pitch cool, let it climb naturally.

I had a similar problem and it wound up being chloramines in my tap water. I tried using store-bought spring water and it went away. Since then I've been using Campden tablets to treat my water and I haven't been tasting that astringent off-flavor. If you're on city water you should be able to see a copy of your water district's report, probably online, to see if they're using chloramines or free chlorine. Either one will cause a mediciny/Band-Aidy flavor. If you're on a well, then never mind.

Back