Why is iodophor attracted to my blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierKnob

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I searched the forums for this, but couldn't find anything.

I'm not concerned about this creating any problems, but I'm curious as to why the Iodophor sanitizing solution in my blowoff vessel (a growler) became so attracted to the part of the blowoff tube that was inside the growler. The solution went from the typical light golden Iodophor solution color to almost clear, with what looks like all the solution staining the blowoff tube. The tube inside the growler is now a dark yellow. But the tube outside of the growler is perfectly clear. I've attached a picture.

Again, I'm not concerned about this, but I'd love to know your thoughts as to why this happens. Is there some reaction among the CO2 in the growler, the iodine, and the plastic tubing? If so, what is the science behind that? I've never noticed this before, though it might be because most of the time I've used a blowoff vessel, some krausen darkens the solution. This fermentation has been pretty tame. Any thoughts are appreciated!

blowoff2.jpg

Iodine will stain plastics as it gets absorbed. A typical iodine solution will turn clear as the iodine chemically reacts and mixes with air. That's why you need to mix up a fresh iodophor solution each brew day.

Back