why is bfermentation taking so long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyray

Reaction score
First off I'd like to Hello I'm new to this site in terms of posting, I've been a lurker for a while absorbing all this great knowledge, I've been able to get by using the search feature thus far until now

OK so back on October 12th I started 3: 5 gallon batches using orchard fresh apples that we crushed, i used yeast that was recommended from my local brew shop and I didn't use candum tablets, I'm using carboys under airlock...2 batches were done fairly quick and that's bottled already but the last batch is just taking too long and I'm worried something's wrong!
This is the yeast I used
ForumRunner_20131204_222714.jpg

My starting gravity was 1070 and it was really alive for the first couple of weeks.

I retested and moved to secondary a
month later and gravity was at 1050.

It's been almost 7 weeks
I wanted to bottle today so I checked the gravity and it's at 1030! Very sweet
I have everything in my home, room temp is kept between 68-72f

One idea I had was to add a jar of the cider I bottled from the other batch... I saved what was at the bottom of the carboy, it looks yeasty
This is the yeast that worked quick

ForumRunner_20131204_223137.jpg

So gang whatchya'll think I should do?

Did I mention this is my first go at this :)

1.070 is kind of a high gravity for just one packet of regular ale yeast. Next time, pitch 2 packets for things higher than about 1.055 OG. I always just use bread yeast for my ciders and it turns out fine. You could add half a teaspoon of bread yeast, or buy another package of yeast. Is there a good yeast cake underneath the cider that is going slowly? If so, maybe just a little gentle rocking of the carboy might get it started again.

Give it a GENTLE stir. A little yeast nutrient might help too, mix it with a little boiled & cooled water, adding it dry could cause an eruption of cider.
Regards, GF.

"Adding two packs of yeast" I'll keep that in mind next time, I didn't add sugar those apples were pretty sweet.

There was a good size yeast cake in the primary.

I guess what I'm asking is " should I add a little more yeast and nutrient... Will this be ok even though it's been 7 weeks?

One other issue I noticed was a white film developing in the secondary, from what I read here it's because of head space and oxygen... this tells me there's no activity in the carboy so I really want to get it going!

Any thoughts?

Yeah feel free to add more yeast. I'm sorry I should have specified that I meant you could add the bread yeast or another package now. If you have any nutrient handy then I'd toss a little bit in there as well.

I added 4 teaspoons of turbo yeast nutrient last night and placed a space heater next to it, the carboy temp is now between 78-80F .... as soon as I added the nutrient I got some activity for about 30 minutes then stopped.

if I don't see anything happening when I get home this afternoon I'll add a little yeast.

NEW QUESTION: if I were to add more yeast would it be OK to use a different strain? I only have ec118 and I originally used s-04

Back