Why I was gone for six months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Sadly, I'm not drunk, but I'm damn sure going to ramble.

So I deployed for six months. Not a huge deal by itself, but this deployment seriously sucked. I won't get into all of the details here, but it was pretty craptastic. Things with the wife weren't exactly tip-top when I left, but the deployment signed the death warrant on us, and she packed up and left. She also took most of what I own. To top things off, since we're divorcing, I'm losing my house. I live in Military Family Housing, and you have 30 days to get out after a divorce. As it stands, I should be back home in about a week, although I don't even have a bed to sleep in when I return because she took that.

So, yeah. Let me just get this out of my system:

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHH!!!

But, life moves on. I'm glad to be back here in HBT, I'm glad to be going home, and I'm glad that my brewing equipment will all be waiting for me. I just really need to blow off some steam.

That really, really sucks, dude. Can't imagine not getting support from home when you needed it most. Lame.

Good to see you back around, though. Keep strong, it'll work out - maybe there's a redhead in your future.

God, I hope so. We brought a redheaded pilot (of the female variety, of course) on the deployment. Seeing her every few days in that tight little flight suit surely helped. :eek:

Welcome back, LL. I missed you and am glad you're getting back, safe and sound. So, what do single military folks do for housing - do you live on a base or get an apartment in town or ?

Cheers and welcome back! :mug:

So, what do single military folks do for housing - do you live on a base or get an apartment in town or ?

I'll be renting a house downtown with a buddy from work. I can't say I'm exactly thrilled about the prospect of having a roomate, but at least he's a good guy, and I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes. When I get back, I'll be sure to crack open any HB I have left for a toast! :mug:

Glad you're okay man, I was wondering when you would be back around. Sorry to hear about the rough patch family wise. Enjoy being back and get your brew on!

Sorry to hear the news. Things will work out in the end and you will be in a better situation because of this. Welcome back and thanks for serving your Country! :mug:

Things just get better and better. Tonight, I stayed up until 6 AM to talk to her online. Just wanted to see what was going on, make sure everything was going alright, that sort of thing. Found out she's moving in with a friend of mine. So now I have an ex-wife and an ex-friend.

Man, when it rains, it pours. :(

Man, that sucks. I feel for ya. And I know exactly how you feel, except for the deployment part. But I speak from experience when I tell you it gets better.

That's some F'ed up shat man! Being deployed before for our nation I understand the stress and issues we go through. I wish you all the best wishes/luck/karma that you deserve. I've been through a divorce before (prior to my military service) and understand the issues that go with that; but I hope you bounce back. I wish I could say relax and have a home brew; but I would recommend hooking up with some local friends and enjoy your time back home. Stay away from bright colors (f'ed me up when I got back last time...) and find something to take your mind away from bullcrap like your going through. Anyone who goes through what your doing after doing what WE do does not deserve it. I'm not going to harp on what she deserves cause I don't know her and will not judge her; but a fellow brother in arms having to go through this is just stupid and unjust. If there is anything you need man let me know (pm me) such as a place to escape to or crap to talk about let me know. Find some good friends, prior to deployment or after deployment, and just get back to normal. Stay away from anything that brings back issues from the past (i.e. deployment, marriage, and/or anything that brings up bad mojo (you know what I'm talking about)).

If your ever in my neck of the woods let me know... my brew is okay and my locality is decent; but like others of our service I've been there before and do not wish anything that you went through on anyone..... well save for failed suicide bombers. F'n failures :)

Things just get better and better. Tonight, I stayed up until 6 AM to talk to her online. Just wanted to see what was going on, make sure everything was going alright, that sort of thing. Found out she's moving in with a friend of mine. So now I have an ex-wife and an ex-friend.

Man, when it rains, it pours. :(

Hey man,

First off, glad you're soon to be back here safe, if not exactly happy. Second, I can relate to a broad running out on you with a friend. Truth be told, it sux totally, and most states look harshly on your leveling vengeance against the pair. Not that I ever have of course. . . .

However, we as humans have the ability to adapt, to drag ourselves up from the pits of depression and realize that as long as we continue to breathe, there is life ahead. Please don't get caught in the past like I did and waste countless years. Instead, open yourself to all that life has to offer. Sometimes you'll find that there isn't a silver-lining to all clouds, but there may be a red-head instead. :rockin:

Sadly, I'm not drunk, but I'm damn sure going to ramble.

So I deployed for six months. Not a huge deal by itself, but this deployment seriously sucked. I won't get into all of the details here, but it was pretty craptastic. Things with the wife weren't exactly tip-top when I left, but the deployment signed the death warrant on us, and she packed up and left. She also took most of what I own. To top things off, since we're divorcing, I'm losing my house. I live in Military Family Housing, and you have 30 days to get out after a divorce. As it stands, I should be back home in about a week, although I don't even have a bed to sleep in when I return because she took that.

So, yeah. Let me just get this out of my system:

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHH!!!

But, life moves on. I'm glad to be back here in HBT, I'm glad to be going home, and I'm glad that my brewing equipment will all be waiting for me. I just really need to blow off some steam.

Get home safe man...also never ever trust a woman, EVER!!!

Really bad news. A similar thing happened to one of the guys in my division on the sub. We deployed for a WestPac (~60 days). When we got back, his wife and kid were gone, the divorce was a done deed and, because he was a Mormon, he lost his place in the church.

Get home safe. And even if you aren't a believer, talk to the base Chaplin. They can often bend the rules for you and buy some time to move out of base housing.

Llama,

Thanks for serving, sorry to hear about the divorce dude. God be with you and hope everything straightens out for you. The Ex-wife has to find someone to make a life with, as you do. Now that Ex-friend is the lowest of the low IMO. He could have gone anywhere else to find a relationship.

Enjoy the freedom, drink some beer, while always looking for a better life than what was ripped from you. Like they been saying, Red Head ( I'll add green eyes).

Brew On!

Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes. It sucks now, but I'm hoping that a warm body in my bed and a bottle of Jack in my hand will help smooth things over, at least for a time. Hopefully I'll be back to brewing full time as soon as I can get moved and settled, I hate for something so enjoyable to take a back (banjo) burner. :mug:

Warning!! More venting ahead:

So things get better day by day. The last three days of sleeping in a damn tent, I've totalled about 6 hours of sleep. Finally, the big day to head home is here, and I'm at the terminal waiting to leave! Then an announcement: our plane is down for maintenance, and we're leaving several hours later. Now I get to spend about 13 hours in this terminal until I leave. Okay, it sucks, but things could be worse.

Then they got worse. My soon-to-be-ex-wife informs me that she has plans on Friday night, and since we aren't arriving until 3 AM now, she won't be able to pick me up. This means that I'll be walking home. In South Dakota. In January. At 3 AM. With desert gear, and no cold weather clothing. It's supposed to be about -20 with the wind chill. Awesome.

My response? "The fact is that it's such a huge inconvience to you to pick up a servicemember returning from a 6 month deployment, never mind the marriage, that you don't deserve to be ever able to say that you did it. I'd rather walk."

Honestly, I could probably randomly dial phone numbers in the area, tell them what's going on, and I would guess that about 9 out of 10 people would be willing to inconvience themselves with 10 minutes of driving. I always knew she was cold hearted, but this is seriously a new low.

**** it, I really would rather walk.

I really could understand this sort of treatment if I was abusive, or a cheater, or anything like that, but nothing could be further from the truth. We just grew up and grew apart and decided to call things off. This is just garbage.

Dude, one of the guys on my second deployment came home unexpectedly on emergency leave and he walks in to his house to find that some guy is living in there. Divorce soon followed. You never know what you're going to come home to.

When we think of the sacrifices that our military personnel make for us we often forget the strain that it puts on those families on a daily basis. I was an "Air Force brat" growing up & I remember my Dad being gone for months (or a year) at a time. I can't imagine being away from my family for that long today. Just one more reason we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

I wish you the best of luck. Just know that there are tons of us that are here behind you 100%.

Thanks again, folks. I hate to keep coming here to gripe about my problems, I'd much rather be talking about beer. Most of my personal friends are all here with me on this deployment though, and they've all got their own messes to deal with. Wouldn't be right to burden them with my drama.

Cheers folks! You guys rock. :mug:

I'm curious to know just exactly what "plans" she has @ 03:00 that could be so all-fired important that she couldn't pick you up at the airport. Regards, GF.

I really could understand this sort of treatment if I was abusive, or a cheater, or anything like that, but nothing could be further from the truth. We just grew up and grew apart and decided to call things off. This is just garbage.

Brother, it sounds like ONE of you grew up.

That's ****ing harsh. What a *****.

Keep venting, that's why we're here.

Back