Why I do secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protein break material doesn't come from the beer. It comes from the wort, or more correctly, from the grain. It is a waste byproduct of the boil, and has no rightful place in the beer.

Boil hops arguably don't belong there either.

Now yeast, well, it's hard to make beer from the wort without it, right? So on that front, your point is sound. I think the reaction was about the blanket statement referring to trub as a homogenous, all-inclusive kinda thing.

Since posters have started attacking each other, rather than just challenging their ideas, multiple posts have been deleted. The thread is also closed for a cooling down period.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Ok, this thread is reopened. Remember to just discuss the topic, and don't talk about other posters.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Since the thread is re-opened, I have a question...

I generally plan my batches so that I can rack a new batch right onto the yeast cake from the previous batch (usually only do this once, i.e. one yeast pack for two batches). If I'm dry hopping (which is pretty much always) I'll rack to secondary for that. Dumping the dry hops into primary and then reusing the cake for another beer is a mistake I made only once.

The question is: is there a good method for dry hopping and racking to yeast cake that wouldn't involve moving to secondary?

Since the thread is re-opened, I have a question...

I generally plan my batches so that I can rack a new batch right onto the yeast cake from the previous batch (usually only do this once, i.e. one yeast pack for two batches). If I'm dry hopping (which is pretty much always) I'll rack to secondary for that. Dumping the dry hops into primary and then reusing the cake for another beer is a mistake I made only once.

The question is: is there a good method for dry hopping and racking to yeast cake that wouldn't involve moving to secondary?

You could make a larger starter, then save a portion of that.

Some fermenters that allow for dumping trub/collecting yeast.

You could transfer to your serving keg and dry hop there.

Latest posts

Back