Why doesn't this exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together something to clean my kegerator lines and taps. I know most people will just fill a keg with cleaner and push it through with CO2, but I have 2 Chugger pumps and want to use one of them instead, and save the CO2.

I'm trying to construct a silicone tubing that's open on one end (to connect to the barb on the outlet port of my pump, and a ball-lock liquid-out keg post on the other end, that I can attach the quick disconnect to from my kegerator. The problem I'm having is sourcing the parts for the bits at the hardware end of the tubing.

That is, I need a ball lock liquid-out keg post and poppet (already bought, they're 9/16-18 size threads), a 1/2" barb (easy enough to find), and a piece to connect them (that's where I'm having my problem). That middle bit has to have a male flare fitting on one end that the keg post can screw onto, and a female receiver on the other end to screw the barb into.

Why is this so hard to build? Where can I get that middle bit? Or is there a better way to circulate cleaning solution/rinse/StarSan through my kegerator lines and taps?

If you are prepared to swap the 9/16" ball lock to a 19/32" ball lock post ($8 for the post at AIH), you can use this 1/4" MPT to 19/32" 18 post fitting adapter. It's easy enough to adapt 1/4" MPT to a 1/2" hose barb.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Plug-Adapter-14-MPT-x-1932_p_4640.html

You can also use a hand pumped garden sprayer with a ball lock post screwed on in place of it's nozzle, rather than CO2 and keg to push line cleaner. Total cost is about $15 if you buy the sprayer at Home Depot/Lowes and the ball lock post online.

You can also use a hand pumped garden sprayer with a ball lock post screwed on in place of it's nozzle, rather than CO2 and keg to push line cleaner. Total cost is about $15 if you buy the sprayer at Home Depot/Lowes and the ball lock post online.

Yeah, I've already built one of those (following the instructions of one of the threads around here on HBT, actually). I use it to clean out my picnic tap lines, but it leaks like crazy. I don't know if it's because of a poor fit, or the plastic nozzle of the sprayer itself, but I was hoping for a more precise fit for this new project, as I plan to run it in the kitchen by the kegerator, and I can't have PBW water spraying all over our hardwood floors.

Thanks for the AIH link, that adapter looks like exactly what I need. I'll see if they ship to Canada.

Yeah, I've already built one of those (following the instructions of one of the threads around here on HBT, actually). I use it to clean out my picnic tap lines, but it leaks like crazy. I don't know if it's because of a poor fit, or the plastic nozzle of the sprayer itself, but I was hoping for a more precise fit for this new project, as I plan to run it in the kitchen by the kegerator, and I can't have PBW water spraying all over our hardwood floors.

Mine leaked at the flare connector - the length of the threading wasn't enough for how deep the connector went. Nothing a little super glue didn't solve. You'd definitely get more "oomph" out of a pump though, especially a chugger.

Back