why does my wlp002 look different than other yeast strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaksatyava

Reaction score
I am using wlp002 for the first time to make a pumpkin beer. When I poured the yeast off of the vial, the yeast cake was very non soluble. It's appearance was like that throughout the cycle of its 1 liter starter. By the way, I started the yeast in a 1 liter batch. Now the starter finished itself but the yeast looks very wierd if u will. It looks like strands of egg in the egg drop soup.

Is this normal for wlp002? Any input would be greatly appreciateed.

Looked something like this in the starter. Not the best picture. When I turn off the stir plate, it settles at the bottom in matter of seconds. Never seen anything like this before.

ForumRunner_20121021_094248.png

WLP002 is one of the hardest flocculaters out there. All yeasts will clump towards the end of fermentation, but this one does it early and aggressively.

It looks different because it's such an awesome yeast and is far superior to anything else, scientific - I know.

Back