why does my beer put me on the toilet in 30 minutes..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
I drink, my friends drink.
I unload serious materials, they unload serious materials

Whats the deal? Common?

It is either the yeast or possible sanitation issues! My guess is the yeast in your beer!
Do you let your beer condition for a little while or do you drink the beer as soon as possible?

The more active(green) the yeast are the better your chances for a malted laxative!!

Yoop & others may disagree, but I stand by the belief that it's just your guts getting used to so much active yeast. No real way around it unless you run an ultra-fine particulate filter (which runs in the thousands last I saw...). You'll get used to it in time.

Just keep the TP stocked until then. :D

I think it's the yeast too, but it isn't necessarily true that you'll get used to it in time. Most people acclimate, but some people never do.

I'm curious to know what Yoop & others who disagree think it may be. I seem to have fewer problems the longer I've let my beer clear before drinking it.

i dont know your procedure but here is mine. i let the beer sit for 3 weeks before bottling. once in the bottle i let it sit an additional 3 weeks. then i stick a weeks worth of beer in the fridge for a week. when i take one out i put a fresh one back in. this gives the yeast plenty of time to do their thing, drop out of the beer, and compact on the bottom of the bottle. also when you pour the beer watch for a "yeast slick" on the surface of the beer as you get near the bottom of the bottle. when it looks like its about to come out the bottle stop pouring.

this will help you leave most of the yeast behind and hopefully keep you out of the bathroom for half an hour.

Fermentation temps ? Maybe there is nothing to it, but so far I've enjoyed a bit of my homebrew and it hasn't given me the "urge to purge" so to speak. When I drink some of my friends homebrew, who don't exactly control fermentation temps (ie. stick carboy in closet), it gives me the runs.

In addition to the yeast another consideration is the amount of fermentables left in the brew.

Apple juice is commonly given to children for constipation.

The combo of sugar and fiber in the juice gets bound up kids going.

So if you are an adult with a regular pattern, adding a non completely attentuated beer that has some yeasts in it may get you running to an open stall.

Hey least when you get old you know a good way to stay regular. Just sayin...

I know that this is going to stray somewhat off topic, but oh well...

As for the apple juice given to children to treat constipation, it's done primarily because they like the taste without having to add stuff to it to mask the flavor, and the relatively higher naturally occurring levels of malic acid, not so much the sugars/fermentables at all, that are responsible for the results.

As for the yeast, hefeweizens are my #1 preferred beer, and I actually pour the yeast into the glass. Everyone's always called me various things for doing so, but then I accidentally found this - http://beeradvocate.com/articles/270 - read the 4th paragraph down. Wow, I was actually doing it "right" after all...??? No one that drinks our hefeweizen ever has a problem with gas or the runs, especially not me and I sometimes even take their bottles and dump (neheheheh, I said dump) the yeast into my glass. OTHER beers, though - nope. IDK why, I just don't do it.

As for hops.......................... well, SOME people actually have a problem with hops and it can cause the exact same thing as what many people (possibly erroneously) attribute to the yeast. And, as the above linked article points out, we here in America LOVE to load the hops into every beer, kind of like how most people can't eat chicken wings unless they use enough hot sauce to blast their prostate into the next county. Me? I don't like hot sauce (Tobasco = great, the rest = no thanks, lol!), and I like a sane amount of hops, that's why my affinity for German/Bavarian hefe's. And, maybe, why I drink the yeast and don't have any issues? But as for me and hops, as an herbalist I already know that I do fine with hops when used within the context of herbal matters, while a few others do not, so --- again, can't say for certain.

ANYWAYS, all I'm saying is that it's not necessarily the yeast that ought to always be getting the blame.

And btw, hops wasn't always a part of the ingredient list for beer. Hops are a great anti-microbial and helped to make the grain crop (after all, beer was once-upon-a-time just a way to preserve the grain harvest in liquid form and keep it from pests and spoilage) last almost 3-times longer than it would have otherwise; why do you think IPA's came to be? They used several times as much hops to help preserve it on its longer than normal trip, helping to ensure that it would still be preserved and drinkable when it got there (the sea trip from England to India). But today, beer is ALL about the hops to most people. Like hot sauce on chicken wings. :D "**** the wings, HOW HOT ARE THEY?!?!?!"

One real-life example of this --- a few months ago, there was an informal gathering, mostly of family, and it sort of turned into a beer-tasting event, meaning that several of us brought homebrew and also there was a lot of BMC etc. Well, everyone was pretty much locker-room about "oh yeah" the darker and more hoppy the beers were the better they had to be and the more "oh yeahs" they got. But my favorite hefe? Didn't get much more than a lot of "yeah, that's okay" kind of reviews, but all of mine was consumed long before any of the others; in fact a lot of the darker high-hops beer was taken home with them that brought 'em.

My wife spent some time in (West) Germany back in the mid-70's, and she loves the hefe's that I brew because it reminds her of the beer they served regularly in that region where she stayed. I know, it's purely preference, I'm just saying - don't always blame just the yeast.

This isn't a slam against dark or hopaholic beer - I love them too, NOTHING delivers so much as they can and do give in a beer, they're just not my first choice for a steady diet. For my everyday brew, FOR ME, it's a hefe. With the yeast.

After all, "hefe" is German for "yeast." :)

Are you being careful to leave the layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle when you pour? This gunk is full of live yeast that will instigate a coup in your lower intestine about 30 minutes after you ingest it. I learned this lesson the hard way. . . while grocery shopping with swmbo. You've never seen a guy exit the bread aisle at such a speed. If only I would have read this first: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-9.html

Are you being careful to leave the layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle when you pour? This gunk is full of live yeast that will instigate a coup in your lower intestine about 30 minutes after you ingest it. I learned this lesson the hard way. . . while grocery shopping with swmbo. You've never seen a guy exit the bread aisle at such a speed. If only I would have read this first: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-9.html

^This. Almost everybody fails to follow this advice the first time, though. And trust me, you'll tell people this when you give them home brew, but they won't listen. They will just drink it straight from the bottle, and then complain that your beer gave them the sh*ts. That's why I don't give out homebrew anymore unless I can pour it myself.

It happened to me too when I first started brewing. It is the yeast. You need to let your beers clear and be sure not to drink the sediment. My second extract brew a while back never really cleared and I used muntons yeast....20-30 minutes after drinking one and it would be an "explosive" situation. It's gross, but it smelled the same every time, and soon I put it all together and figured out it was the yeasties........throw them active yeast in your stomach at 100 degrees and things don't go well.

You could eat a bunch of cornbread first, then drink your yeastie homebrew.......you could make whiskey in your stomach.

Have you ever had someone else's homebrew, without that reaction?

I NEVER once have had any gastro problems with homebrew, my own or anyone else's. But I was chatting with a brewer at a brewpub I love, and he mentioned that he never would use magnesium sulfate in a beer. I asked why, and he said that it produces the effects you mentioned.

I doubt you're dumping epsom salts in your beer, but I wonder if it's a combination of live yeast, green beer, higher dextrins, and water chemistry? Or maybe something simple as the usual diet of the drinkers. I eat a TON of vegetables, no junk food, no "bad carbs", etc, and homebrew fits right in with my diet.

I've read that most beer drinkers are "used" to adjunct laden beers, and those higher dextrins, especially from extract, can cause some issues. If someone's been drinking Miller Lite their whole life, and then drinks a 6er of homebrew that is still green, and full of oligosaccharides besides, wham-O!

could there be a water chemistry problem? i seem to remember someone saying that too much Magnesium could to do that, but i might just be making stuff up.

My guess is it's the yeast. I took a drink of the first pull off my corny keg (which was quite thick with yeast) and was in the bathroom most of the night.

its definitely a yeast situation. I had to try my beer, i couldnt take it any longer. It only conditioned for 12 days :) and im 20 so i dont think its a problem with my digestive system. Again, definitely yeast. thanks everyone!!

I'm thinking you're probably pouring the beer to aggressively and thus getting too much yeast off the bottom of the bottle. I have a pretty sensitive gut, but I've never had a problem--I pour really slow and always leave the last ounce in the bottle.

If you used a secondary, a tertiary, or even a quaternary, the yeast would not be an issue. If you do it right there is not any yeast in the bottle. Just a primary and then bottle is not good. You waste beer trying to pour just the right amount into a glass. You can't drink from the bottle. You get the drizzlies. You want to be able to hand a beer to someone without having to explain how to drink it. Don't you?

Did you put lactose in the beer?

Forrest

You know, many people spend thousands of dollars and go to spas that insert various hoses into various orifices, then inject strange fluids by the bucket full just to get the same "cleansing" you get for free. Drink, and enjoy the experience. :fro:

Huh.. I've not had that problem either with my homebrew.
I don't pour the yeast into my glass
I don't brew overly hoppy brews (unless you count the Dead Guy clone I did, but that didn't upset my gut)
I do take a probiotic supplement, drink kombucha regularly, and eat yogurt with "active" cultures so maybe I just have more sturdy um.. intestines.

I swear by the probiotics and kombucha.... good stuff (especially since I like to eat raw fish and raw egg yolks on occasion.)

If you used a secondary, a tertiary, or even a quaternary, the yeast would not be an issue. If you do it right there is not any yeast in the bottle. Just a primary and then bottle is not good. You waste beer trying to pour just the right amount into a glass. You can't drink from the bottle. You get the drizzlies. You want to be able to hand a beer to someone without having to explain how to drink it. Don't you?

Did you put lactose in the beer?

Forrest

Yes!!! It's like a breeze of fresh air. A man that knows how to brew! Thanks Forrest.....:)

Latest posts

Back