Why Do We Brew/Drink Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys talking about ease of brewing one vs the other are all missing the point. The question was "Why do we brew/drink ales?". What if the answer is "because we like ales better!" It's not because they're easier to brew, it's just because they're what we drink the most.

I've never bought a microbrewed lager from the grocery store. I buy ales 99% of the time because they're what I like to drink. Homebrewers make the type of beer they like to drink. It doesn't have anything to do with hard vs easy.

To respond to something YuriRage said,

With lagers making up the majority of beer sold in the world, it is valid to ask why ales seem to dominate the homebrewing community.

Well, ales dominate the majority of the microbrew world. The only reason lagers make up the majority of the beer sold in the world is that the giant brewery conglomerates do like 95% of the beer sales with light lagers. The reason ales dominate the homebrewing community is that we aim to emulate microbreweries, not macrobreweries. Homebrewing roots and goals have much more in common with microbreweries than macro.

And yes, I know there are a number of microbreweries that make lagers - and many of them are quite excellent at it - but my point is that probably 90% of the microbrew beers on the shelf at my local grocery store are ales. I've actually never bought a microbrew lager from a grocery store or beer shop.

Oh, and I forgot to add why I brew / drink ales:

To me it seems like there's a much larger diversity of styles and tastes in ales. I can try a porter and a pale ale and easily detect a big difference between them. And there are a ton of variations on ale styles.
Lagers have a pretty good number of styles too, but I don't feel there's as much diversity there. To me the difference between an APA and a RIS is much bigger than the difference between a light lager and a doppelbock.

Also it seems like ale brewers can do more wacky experimental things, like throw in raspberries, or white pepper, or coriander, or make a super high IBU beer (100+). Lager beers can do many of those things too, but it doesn't seem as effective and is less common. I've had lagers with ginger and with pumpkin and I didn't really detect the ginger or pumpkin or think it added anything to improve the beer.

Another reason I like ales is that I love hop monster beers. Fresh hopped, dry hopped, ultra hopped, whatever. Maybe there are hop monster lagers, but I've never found one. If there is, please let me know so I can try it! (fyi, to qualify for my definition of hop monster it needs to be at least 80+ IBUs and dry hopped).

I hate to be a spoiler but you can't take away from what the big breweries do: they make a consistent, clean, perfect product which appeals to the masses. No craft brewer will achieve that with any kind of ale purely because you have to appeal to a lot of taste buds to make a universal product. I'm sorry I just get a little peeved whenever someone uses the word brainwashed because it belittles the people it is directed at. If that is what they like, then that is what they like. It doesn't make them brainwashed.

And plain and simple, ales are more popular with homebrewers because they are way easier to make, period. If lagers weren't so equipment and time sensitive, no one would be on here ripping lagers. Lagers are by far the most sold and produced beers in the world. What makes us so much better that we apparently notice the superiority of ales? Nothing.

I have had my ass kicked by ales, lagers, music, pizza, sandwiches, cheese, coffee, and hamburgers but that does not mean BMC, Nickelback, Dominoes, Subway, Kraft Singles, Starbucks, or McDonalds are anything more than ****e.
It is absolutely about brainwashing and how much money they can spend to make you crave mediocrity. A person makes his/her own choice. People do what they are told.
The only difference between ales and lagers are time and temperature. Neither of which make it appreciably more difficult to brew lagers.
If people rip on lagers it is because they think it means BMC which is a direct result of marketing.
Lagers are awesome. BMC is worth every second spent tryng to get people to stop drinking it.

I brew (and drink) ales not because I can't make a lager, but because I have an allergic reaction to lager yeast (but not ale yeast). This is what got me started in Home brewing. I didn't understand why some beers like BMC, caused me to have a reaction and others Guinness, Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London Porter didn't.

Now that I know, I make Ales.

There are known-knowns, known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns. The trick is to know the difference and to convert the known-unknowns into known-knowns before they become unknowable.

I think ales are brewed more by homebrewers primarily because they are slightly easier to brew. The large majority of brewing books on the market are geared towards ales... and while that could be a 'chicken and the egg' scenario, the fact remains that ales are more forgiving than lagers in terms of screwing up a little.

I love ales... particulary British ales. But because ales are favored among homebrewers, there seems to be some underlying lager-bashing on here. Whether it's because of BMC and the fact that the large majority of homebrewers don't like to be moo-cows or because some brewers are slightly intimidated to brew lagers, it doesn't matter. But I disagree that ales are more "flavorful" than lagers. It is true that ale yeasts produce more esters and other flavor-active compounds, but that doesn't mean lagers aren't flavorful. Forget the mass produced lagers in the world. There are plenty of lagers out there with real flavor.

When I take a first sip of a homebrewed Helles that I worked so diligently to ensure success and has been brewing/lagering for 10+ weeks and taste the dance between delicate malt and hops, I never looked back and said, "I wish I made this batch an ale."

I have always loved Belgian ales so that's what I brew. It has nothing to do with which is easier. If I loved lagers, that's what I would be brewing.

I don't care for ales or lagers. I just like beer!

I like lager. I'll have myslef a pint of lager everynight.

I didn't make lagers early on because of temp control but, now I generally brew ales and lagers in succession.

I know name brand loyalty is big- but do you think anyone can really tell the difference between a Coors Light and another "lite" beer if they were blindfolded and it was served super cold?

I don't really care about that, though...

Just as a moot point, I can any day of the week. Blindfold me and put a Miller Lite, Coors Light, & Bud Light in front of me and I will knock 'em dead.

Although I LOVE my ales, BMC light has its place. For me, it's Miller Lite. I always have a case on hand. On a 90 degree summer's day working in the yard or out on the Lake, there is absolutely NOTHING better than an ice cold American style lager.

I don't buy commercial lagers. Pretty much prefer 99.9% ales. So I brew ales. If I didn't like ales then I likely would not homebrew. It would be too much trouble ($$) to start lagering right off the bat.

Airborne- brainwashed might be more appropriate than you think. Consider inBEV's marketing budget. That's brainwashing money.

Just as a moot point, I can any day of the week. Blindfold me and put a Miller Lite, Coors Light, & Bud Light in front of me and I will knock 'em dead.

Although I LOVE my ales, BMC light has its place. For me, it's Miller Lite. I always have a case on hand. On a 90 degree summer's day working in the yard or out on the Lake, there is absolutely NOTHING better than an ice cold American style lager.

But you like beer, I has seen a blind taste test done on just normal bar people that said they had a favorite and always drink it, when they tried to pick theirs out of the 3 (bud, miller, coors) they were wrong about 75% of the time.

For me, my goto Lawnmower beer is a case of Genesee Cream ale.

I have an allergic reaction to lager yeast (but not ale yeast). This is what got me started in Home brewing. I didn't understand why some beers like BMC, caused me to have a reaction and others Guinness, Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London Porter didn't.
Excuse my scepticism, but do you have documentation on this condition that you could link us to as a source? Yeast allergies are incredibly rare (most people who have them don't live very long because it's one of the most abundant organisms in our atmosphere) and I have never heard of one that only reacts to one isolated strain of yeast. Even if you were allergic to this one specific brewing strain that doesn't occur in nature...BMC is sterile filtered to remove 100% of the yeast, so you shouldn't be having a reaction from them anyway.

Generally, people who drink BMC don't know what the heck a lager is. They don't care.

I brew ales because I don't have proper temp control. However, I have a cold room in my house and may try a lager this winter. If I do, it will be something more forgiving. I think there is a more wide variety of ales than lagers.

For those of you who like ales because "they're more complex," I challenge you to broaden your horizons. Ideally I'd tell you to spend a week in Bamberg, in which case you'd come home with your tail between your legs, ashamed that you ever suggested that lagers are simple. But since that's out of most folks' budget, I'll throw out some lagers that you can get around Chicago that should change your mind as to the "simplicity" of lagers. Check out: Schlenkerla Ur-Bock, Capital Blonde Doppelbock, Laguintas Pils, Möhnschof Schwarzbier, Korbinian Doppelbock, Mahr's Ungespundet, Fort Collins Barrel-licked Bock, Samichlaus, Weihenstephaner Helles. Diverse? Simple? I think not.

Having lived in Germany for a few years, I can safely say that Lager/Pils is the pinnacle of brewing. You guys are all mentioning BMC piss, but hey Lager can be so much more. I was reminded again at the weekend of just how amazingly good it can be when I drank a Tannen Zaepfle which a German friend had given me from the few cases he brought back, man it was good, so so so good. The summit of the art of brewing in my opinion.

ger-rothaus-tannen-zaepfle-pils.jpg

My favourite style is definitely a good lager, but it's rare to get in the commercial world and I brew ales because they are easier and more forgiving, and I didn't go all grain nor buy my control fridge yet, they're coming :) Then I'll report back with some Lager reports :)

I've always liked ales better, even before I started brewing - I like the extra flavors in them.

They also do not require a fermentation cabinet, which makes it easier for me at least.

Many more people drink Lager in the world because the big companies produce so much and that is what they started with when they were young. Then the companies kept pushing the believe that their beer was best. Many people only think of light, clean, and clear when they think of beer.

I just like Ales better. At least the ones that I've had. I know there are some very flavorful and complex Lagers, but they are very hard to find.

Now that I've got my brewing technique down to where I think I can understand what I am doing, I have think about making Lager. Then I ask myself why? I don't even like the lager that I've had more than most Ales I make. I can make a blonde ale or Witbier that fills my need for a lighter beer. I may do it some day, but only when I feel the sudden urge to make something that only my few friends who drink BMC would enjoy.

Mostly I enjoy the range of malty, or bitter, lighter or darker ales. Anything that is not tart too much.

First let me say I enjoy Ales and Lagers. But don't you think a person who is going to be in homebrewing as a hobby it's a person who is more likely to drink different styles of beer to begin with. I wouldn't be doing this if I thought Bud was a great beer. A homebrewer is person who looked and said I want more. That type a person is going to be more likely to enjoy a hoppy IPA. Rather than a watered down beer. Who enjoys BEER for the flavor and not just because it is a cheap way to get drunk. I know I could buy beer a whole lot cheaper (when you figure in time) then what I can make it for.

But there is no fun in that.

I am not prejudice, I haven't found a beer I despised. I wouldn't want to drink Hienekin if I don't have to, that has to be my least favorite beer.
I even enjoy Corona from time to time, without a lime of course.
I drink most all BMC, and most all micro's like them all, bring em on!!!!

I brew both Ales and Lagers almost equally.

I brew (and drink) ales not because I can't make a lager, but because I have an allergic reaction to lager yeast (but not ale yeast). This is what got me started in Home brewing. I didn't understand why some beers like BMC, caused me to have a reaction and others Guinness, Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London Porter didn't.

Now that I know, I make Ales.

Excuse my scepticism, but do you have documentation on this condition that you could link us to as a source? Yeast allergies are incredibly rare (most people who have them don't live very long because it's one of the most abundant organisms in our atmosphere) and I have never heard of one that only reacts to one isolated strain of yeast. Even if you were allergic to this one specific brewing strain that doesn't occur in nature...BMC is sterile filtered to remove 100% of the yeast, so you shouldn't be having a reaction from them anyway.

I'll bet its the rice or corn used . I can't drink Sake either makes me sick as hell and bad joint pain ,not from a hungover I mean after after one or two just like Bud.

Back on topic . I brew Ales and I brew Lagers it most likely a 70/30 split. Lagers come in just about as many forms as ales . I am going to brew a dark lager this winter at some point I just got my Zymurgy and there is whole write up on the dark side of Lagers.

I am not an overly advanced brewer either

In fact I think when I get home I'll pour myself a nice mug of Octoberfest followed by a mild ale :D

I'll bet its the rice or corn used . I can't drink Sake either makes me sick as hell and bad joint pain ,not from a hungover I mean after after one or two just like Bud.
Do you get this reaction when eating rice as well or only when drinking it in its fermented form?

Back