Why do i still have floating bubbles? Infection or continued fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMang

Reaction score
I've been fermenting this IPA for about 3 weeks in my new 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I have never had this issue before with my buckets. This was also my first time using S-05. Is this just continued fermentation or is it crap and I'm going to be disappointed?

image-2833802335.jpg

image-2905674565.jpg

You need to take hydrometer readings 3-4 days apart to see if it is still fermenting. Assuming the gravity is still dropping (still fermenting), tasting the samples will help you determine if it is contaminated or not.

Ya i figured that would be the answer i would get. Ive just never had anything take this long to look clear on the top. Ill take a hydrometer reading soon. Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this.

I'm on day 14 of an US05 ferment that "finished" in 3 days - and I still have half an inch of Krausen clinging for its life to the surface. That's the first time it has done it for me, usually flocs out quickly.

Could just be excess CO2 from fermentation.

Thanks guys. I took a gravity reading and I was at like 1.007 so I imagine that it's done. So I racked it to a secondary and if I don't see any major action, I'm going to bottle. Tasted fine too. Quite happy.

NOOOOOOOO!!! So I racked it to my secondary and some white stuff was forming on the top. I probably shouldn't have but I got nervous and racked it to a freshly sanitized carboy just to ease my mind a bit. After two days of nothing floating on the top, this appeared suddenly overnight. Ug. It's ugly to think I messed up, but the pattern of whatever it may be is cool looking. Any clue what it is? First time this has happened, so my research has been difficult. I tasted it when I racked it last and it's not horrible. But the thought that it will come back in the bottle kinda grosses me out. Help please.

image-1795922196.jpg

image-3228145491.jpg

That looks like an infection... If the beer is drinkable, I'd still rack under this stuff and bottle/keg it. If it tastes good carb it up and drink it. Maybe drink it on the faster side and not let it sit too long...

That's an infection without a doubt. With an ipa it could be iffy letting it sour

I've heard things like exploding bottles if it were infected. Is this true?

looks like an infection.

if it still tastes OK, and you have kegging equipment, then go ahead and keg it. kegs can handle any additional pressure created by the new bugs, and you can always vent every now and then.

if you don't have kegs, i'd be very careful about bottling it. you have no idea how low the new bugs will take the brew. if you do bottle, leave it in a carboy as long as possible, add a little less priming sugar than usual (for example go for 2.2 volumes instead of 2.5) and plan on drinking it quickly. invite everyone over in 2 weeks for a pseudo-sour party! the new bugs are mostly likely slow movers so as long as you consume within a few weeks they won't have time to create too much additional pressure.

if you can spare the carboy, you could let the new bugs run their course and see where they take you. it won't be an IPA anymore as the hop aroma and flavor will fade by the time the bugs are done - also, it'll be sour :mug:

I've heard things like exploding bottles if it were infected. Is this true?
not necessarily. bottle bombs can arise if bottling is done too soon: i.e. if fermentation not complete so additional CO2 is still being produced. the problem with wild fermentation is that gravity drops very slowly, so it takes a long time (typically months) to determine if you've hit FG. as long as you hit a stable gravity - over several weeks - you're good to go.

Back