Why do brewers buy Chico yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two bits for the OP.

Some homebrewers are all about brewing for the very lowest price. I understand and respect that.

For me, though, the couple of dollars I might save just isn't worth the time. I don't have enough brewing time as is, and I find it difficult to invest more of that scarce commodity when I could spend $7 for a vial of liquid yeast.

I have a question that I hope people will reflect on...Why do brewers buy Chico / WLP001 / US 05 / 1056 yeast from homebrew stores or labs? This has to be one of the most commonly sold yeasts, but you can get the yeast with a (nearly) free sixpack!

For almost the exact same cost, a person can purchase and enjoy almost six bottles of SNPA. I've got an APA and a cherry ale bottle conditioning and another IPA in primary, all with yeast cultured off my last bottle of SNPA. And I have 2 more mason jars with the same yeast washed and waiting for a future brew.

I know this would be to complicated for someone on their first few brewing attempts, but most of us are beyond that point.

So, tell me what you think...am I nuts or can we all enjoy a little free beer when we buy yeast?

Some of us are just plain lazy - it's SO MUCH easier to just buy it from the LHBS (and I even drink SNPA from time to time).

I like your enthusiasm, though...

Just playing devil's advocate here: maybe the OP is assuming that everyone makes a starter regardless of whether the original source is a packet, yeast, or vial. Is it common practice to pitch yeast without a starter? I was scared out of this practice a few years ago and never looked back. DME sure is expensive.

One of my main justifications for building cultures from bottles is that I'd make a starter anyway in order to guarantee strong fermentation activity right out of the gate. I'd always heard that pitching right from the package or vial runs the risk of incomplete fermentation. Just my two cents.

Back