Why didn't I make a stir plate sooner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosettaSt0ned

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Harvested from a six-pack of Bell's Two Hearted, took a little less than a week in 4 steps. Ended up with just under 24oz starting with bottle dregs, going to use a jar to make a full starter next week to pitch into an IPA I'm brewing.

u2k8DiS.jpg

A stir plate has become one of my very favourite brewing tools as well. You can actually get from a single bottle to pitchable in 3 steps. Check out the math from a 30ml, 300ml, 1000ml schedule with kaisers equations, it's just about perfect. Every batch I've done that way starts in about 12 hours, so I do t think it can be off by too much.

A stir plate has become one of my very favourite brewing tools as well. You can actually get from a single bottle to pitchable in 3 steps. Check out the math from a 30ml, 300ml, 1000ml schedule with kaisers equations, it's just about perfect. Every batch I've done that way starts in about 12 hours, so I do t think it can be off by too much.

I might do that next time on bottle-harvested yeast that I know I don't want a large quantity of. I built it up from bottle dregs to a 1500ml starter, then split the entire starter up into a few mason jars for later use; going to use each individual jar to make a full starter for each 5-gallon brew. Meant to get it up to a 2 liter starter, but I was short on DME and didn't want to pitch them into lower gravity wort than they were accustomed to.

So, essentially, I made a normal-sized starter from bottle dregs and separated it out into 250ml or so portions with which to make starters for full brews. A starter to make starters, if you will.

Makes sense to me. I usually just use need for yeast as an excuse to drink some good beer, but some bottles are hard to come by regularly.

Back