Why are mountain bikes so popular?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I just read an article in the paper where it says that a local college is giving away a free bicycle to any student who pledges not to bring a car to school.

I looked at the picture of the free bikes and they are brand new Trek mountain bikes. My first question was "why mountain bikes?" Last time I checked, the town where the college in question is located (Ripon, Wisconsin) has no shortage of paved streets and not very many mountainous trails running through the campus.

As a person who has done quite a bit of bicycling in his life, I know that generally speaking when you are riding a bicycle you want it to be fast and easy to pedal. This normally requires that the bike be as light as possible and have thin tires for low rolling resistance. The wide knobby tires on mountain bikes are just the opposite of what I want when I am riding on streets.

I guess I'm thinking, is this pretty much an American thing? We tend to like things to be made big and strong. Look at the popularity of 4x4 SUV's and pickups over the past 10 years or so. How many of the folks who bought those things actually ever took them off-road? When it comes to bicycles, I suspect that many Americans look at a skinny tired road bike and to them it's got "French" written all over it and is something to stay away from.

Still, I'm willing to bet that many, many folks who have bought mountain bikes over the past 10-15 years because they have been the "in" bikes to buy, would have been much happier had they instead bought something that was made to go fast on city streets.

Not sure, I think there are probably a few elements that mix together to get the popularity. I could easily see though how a mountainbike on campus would be much better if you have to traverse any grassy areas/etc. I can't really make the call here because road biking and mountain biking seem to be of similar popularity. Most enthusiasts here have both. If I lived in a city though, I'd get a city bike or probably none at all. One of the things that drove me away from cycling was dealing with all the inconsiderate motorists. Granted cyclists can be inconsiderate as well...but that's not my point :D.

I had a Trek mountain bike in college. I replaced the knobby tires with inverted tread tires (like car tires), added fenders, and a big rack over the rear tire (for groceries and stuff). It was an awesome bike for navigating potholed streets, curbs, gravel paths and torn up alleys. Because I replaced the knobby tires with smooth ones, it was faster and quiter than a typical mountain bike. I rode it year round in Montana, and it was pretty stable on the ice and snow. Try that with a 1/2" wide tire at high pressure and you'll be on your ass in a heartbeat. I loved it. I still have it, actually.

I also had a "real" mountain bike for off road.

I think you're on to something with the strong/sturdy image versus the skinny French-looking road bikes. I personally prefer hybrid products that can handle multiple environments (e.g. all-terrain bikes, trail runners, sidewalk surfers, etc). I have an SUV that spends 70-80% of its life on pavement. I obviously don't need off-road or 4WD capability, but I like knowing I have it. I think many Americans like things they consider "safer". Like all the soccer moms driving huge gas-guzzling trucks that they can't handle or park, but that make them feel "safe" on the roads...

Mt Bikes are the in bike. They have "cool" thinks like suspension, more gears than you can count and big fat knobby tires.
Due to their popularity there are a large number of competing models and you get more "features" for the price than other styles.
The majority of Americans know very little about bikes and have little experience riding them for utility.
So the most popular bikes and the ones most people start trying to use for commuting/utility work are not well suited for that purpose.
The next most popular bikes are probably road race bikes which probably are less useful for the purpose than MTB.

I'm surprised an effort like this does not involve one of the commuter/utility models that many manufacturers are now importing. I have seen some decent utility bikes from Jamis, Trek and many other manufactures introduced in recent years. These are much better for daily low mile utility riding.
If you are going to put some miles in then a more road oriented bike is warranted. I commute about 16miles daily on a Surly CrossCheck.

Craig

I think you're on to something with the strong/sturdy image versus the skinny French-looking road bikes. I personally prefer hybrid products that can handle multiple environments (e.g. all-terrain bikes, trail runners, sidewalk surfers, etc). I have an SUV that spends 70-80% of its life on pavement. I obviously don't need off-road or 4WD capability, but I like knowing I have it. I think many Americans like things they consider "safer". Like all the soccer moms driving huge gas-guzzling trucks that they can't handle or park, but that make them feel "safe" on the roads...

I think there really is something to the "safer" thing. (Although I don't know just how safe those big trucks are in the hands of so many people who not onl don't know how to handle them, but think they are invincible in them.

I have an SUV. Not a 4X4, and not a terrible gas guzzler. I have it mostly because we have two teenage boys and a dog and we need the space. I'm also a big guy. Last I checked, they don't make many station wagons any more. It's nice to be in a truck that feels heavy and solid to drive. If car companies in the U.S. would start selling efficient vehicles that had the space I need, I'd dump the SUV in a heartbeat.

My bicycle of choice in recent years has been a hybrid. I still have a road bike, but don't use it very often any more. If I wanted to ride on off-road trials, though, I'd get a "real" mountain bike. I feel sorry for people that I see riding on fat knobby tires on the street, especially when you can hear the whirring sound coming from all that rubber on the road.

I think you're on to something with the strong/sturdy image versus the skinny French-looking road bikes.

There is something besides skinny tired road race bikes and knobby tired MTB bikes but most consumers know nothing of the other categories.
Hybrid bikes can be decent campus bikes but the city/utility/commuter bikes that are now available are usually even better and include many of the accessories that are needed for daily use.
Even a couple years ago it was difficult to buy a good commuter but now they are quite common in manufacturers lineups if less so on show room floors.

Craig

I would guess that they aren't giving away mountain bikes, but kind of a utility one. Won't have all the fancy shocks and what not that a true mountain bike will have, but enough to cut across grass, go through potholes, snow, and off a curb. Roadbikes aren't really that practical for students using it as the primary mode of transportation, especially in places that can get snowy/slick such as Wisconsin.

I got mine cause it was free. It just so happens that it is a Trek PK7.

I do plan to swap out the nobbies with street tires.

I know when I went out to buy my last bike, mountain bikes were the only ones I could afford. I imagine this is the case for a lot of people. I ended up getting one with those big nobby tires (which I plan to replace when they wear out, which doesn't seem to be taking long on pavement) and it has a set of shocks on the front which I loathe. But I could afford it and I'm saving a ton of gas with the rack and saddle bags I put on the back for grocery shopping.

mountain bikes I think are now called ATB (all terrain bikes) they are overkill even for ice and snow on the road. they would be better off with cyclocross bikes but most people dont even know what they are. In NYC snow isnt usually a big issue but in Wisconsin I guess its something you really need proper tires for. However offroad tires dont work much better in the snow that road tires, maybe someone should contact the college and help them select something more useful/safe. they may think the ATB image will attract more participants but the first time someone gets hurt because they fell or couldnt stop in the snow and ice they will regret it.

When I lived close to campus I used a small, lightweight BMW bike to get around. It was perfect for quickly and easily naviagting a dense urban setting with the biggest obstacle being curbs. I now use a Dianondback Outlook (Diamondback » Outlook ‘09) for getting back and forth between work. It's light enough to easily jump curbs when I'm downtown but big enough to handle cutting through rougher terrain I cross to avoid dangerous traffic while I commute. I have thought about getting a decent road bike, but then I am limited to roads. Who wants that?

Think about it this way: You can easily use a mountain bike on the road but you can't easily use a road bike off pavement. I think that's why they are handing out mountain bikes as opposed to road bikes. I don't believe it has anything to do with a "wussy french bike" thing. I think it's a fact that people want something that can do both.

The cops in the next town to me are "sponsored" by Roeder Harley Davidson. ie: they get free Harleys (How ethically professional is that!?)

Maybe it is a similar deal with the mountain bikes in this situation?

Entry level mountain bike = $250

Entry level road bike = $500

simple math, and because mountain bikes stand up a lot better to city riding, being dropped, ridden up/down curbs, being locked up outside, being rained on, riding through broken glass and road debris, and being abused by people who get them for free.

I own three bikes, a nice mountain bike, a nice road bike, and my commuter, which is my old mountain bike, for all the reasons above.

I have a street bike but in college I had a mountain bike, as you could imagine street bikes aren't too good at jumping curbs and going down stairs.

simple math, and because mountain bikes stand up a lot better to city riding, being dropped, ridden up/down curbs, being locked up outside, being rained on, riding through broken glass and road debris, and being abused by people who get them for free.

I own three bikes, a nice mountain bike, a nice road bike, and my commuter, which is my old mountain bike, for all the reasons above.

Great point(s)...

However there are a number of hybrid, comfort and commuter/city bikes priced similar to the MTB. I agree for how most college kids use(abuse) a bike a road bike is not a good choice. However a bike with simple gearing, full fenders and a rack or basket would be very useful. As was mentioned knobbie tires are inefficient, provide poor traction and wear fast on pavement. Fat slicks or inverted treads are much better solutions.

I own 4 bikes and none are road bikes or MTBs. I usually commute on a single speed (fixed gear) cyclocross/light tourer. My nice weather commuter and backup bike is a track bike with brakes. I have a really fat tired snow and sand bike for off-road or winter riding. And a fast recumbent for long rides. And yes I own too many bikes. :)

Actually there are a number of (not really) mountain bikes available from department stores that are around $100 but I don't recommend these for any use. :(

Craig

Does anyone remember the bikes that we called "English racers?"

This would have been back before the first bicycle craze hit the U.S. (1973, maybe?), when almost anyone who owned a bike had a heavy steel Schwinn or Huffy, with one speed and a coaster brake.

If you really wanted to be different, though, you got an imported bike. I don't know if "English racers" were even from England at all, and they certainly were not racing bikes. But, they did have 3 speeds, hand brakes, thinner tires and were fairly light in weight. As I recall, they had fenders and probably would be pretty darn good commuter bikes today if you could still get one. They were pretty nice to ride.

As a person who has done quite a bit of bicycling in his life, I know that generally speaking when you are riding a bicycle you want it to be fast and easy to pedal. This normally requires that the bike be as light as possible and have thin tires for low rolling resistance. The wide knobby tires on mountain bikes are just the opposite of what I want when I am riding on streets.

Bah. Two-wheeled contraptions are a waste of metal. A 36" unicycle is the only way to commute.

Seriously, I think the reason is price. You can throw slicks on a mountain bike for a fraction of the cost of a road bike. You're not THAT much slower. With a set of 1" Conti slicks and stock everything else, I have been able to do long rides (metrics, 75 milers & centuries) and race competitively against people with expensive triathlon bikes. Sure, I lost a few mph off my cruising speed, but in the end it didn't make a huge difference to me. In a commuting situation, I figure it's a wash - you gain some comfort/safety and lose some speed. There's no practical reason to choose a road bike over an ATB as a commuter unless you're going over, say, 20 miles each way. Plus you have a mountain bike - trail riding is a fantastically fun thing you cannot use a road bike for.

I have been cycling since I was a little kid, and for the most part Mountain Bikes are just more fun to ride. Even if you are just riding around town. They can take a lot more abuse and are generally geared better for hills and have more traction which can be a godsend when it comes to areas where there is a lot of construction and roadwork.

Plus if you live in an area with trails between roads, they make sneaking through them a lot safer (for your tires that is).

we have Specialized Expeditions which are comfort bikes but look like mtn bikes but they only have a seatpost rear shock (no soft-tail) and single walled rims. Tires in the 2-2.25" range are much better for riding on grass and dirt roads than those 1" wide suckers.

Yes, every bike co. puts out pseudo mtn bikes that are really all-around casual rides. Cost for a decent one is $350-400.

Road racers are just about useless on less than ideal roads. With a 3000' gravel driveway, and 15% grades in places, my racers are just rotting in the pole barn.

I have a mountain bike, but I've had it since I was a teenager. I've ridden it on many many offroad trails and now i'm just used to it so doubt I'll get a road bike anytime soon. SWMBO has a hybrid bike with road tires that's pretty nice, but it needs a better seat because she's got a big fat ass. Do they make bicycle seats like those old timey tractor seats?

Mt Bikes are the in bike. They have "cool" thinks like suspension, more gears than you can count and big fat knobby tires.

This thinking is probably accurate when it comes to people buying cars (read: SUVs) but not mountain bikes. I have a Trek and I'm telling you that for urban riding there's no way I would buy a road bike for the areas I bike in. Just the ability to hop up and down curbs head-on or slightly sideways is invaluable in an area with lots of automotive traffic. Maybe a hybrid would work for me too, but then again, I have biked on actual trails too.

I guess people that buy a bike and then never actually use it might go for the mountain bike over the road bike for the image and the "cool thinks" (by the way, what's a "cool think?" The G is pretty far from the K on my keyboard:cross:) but don't lump every non-trail rider together and say we're on a mountain bike because it's the "in" bike. Sometimes they just make more sense even off the mountain. Just depends on the rider and each rider's needs.

i like the seating arrangement on a bmx style bike better than the mountain bikes. plus it's soo far to fall on those huge 26" plus wheels. ouch!

Mountain bikes are made to go on trails, they do okay on the road or paved/gravel bike paths, but really they are designed for roots, rocks, and dirt. If you want to get in shape and like being in the woodsy outdoors, like to get muddy, or want a bit of an adrenaline rush mixed with your exercise, then mountain biking is for you. Some have suspension on the front, some also have it on the rear. Mountain bike suspension isn't designed for comfort, it's designed for speed over rough terrain. Suspension constantly pushes your tire back into the dirt for optimal traction, but also consumes a lot of energy that you are putting into your pedals. People do not understand this and constantly think that a road bike will be uncomfortable because you are bent over. Truth is you will be more comfortable on the road with a road bike, and more comfortable off the road with a mountain bike.

If people who ride bikes on the road bought road bikes instead of junk dual suspension bikes from Walmart I think they would ride a lot more. That said if you really need an all purpose bike get either a hybrid if you are never going more than ten miles or a cyclocross if you plan on doing longer distances. If all you have is a mountain bike for road riding I hope you at least have front fork lockouts.

I think alot of people who are just getting into riding choose a mountain bike because they dont feel comfortable riding with drop handlebars. That's where the newer hybrid/commuter bikes come into the picture.

The cops in the next town to me are "sponsored" by Roeder Harley Davidson. ie: they get free Harleys (How ethically professional is that!?)

Ethically professional??? Would you rather they pay for them with your tax dollars?

I would bet they work like most departments...they don't get free bikes, they are actually leased. Granted they may be leased for as little as a dollar but they generally only get to keep them for one year and then they are returned to the dealer. The dealer then strips the lights and siren and sells the bike.

Latest posts

Back