Why 10 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wort*hog said:
Did my first 25 gallon brew yesterday. Basically it was an all grain 5 gallon until the boil. A single infusion mash with a batch sparge. Used 12# 6 row pale malt. a total of 10 gallons of water used in the mash and sparge. Added 6 more gallons to the 40 gallon boil pot. Then 33# of light malt extract. 2 1/2 of centennial @ 45minutes and !/2 oz at flame out. Chilled it down to 80 degrees. Pumped into A 30 gal U S Plastics full drain conical. Added 55 degree water to the 26 gal level. Wort was @ 70 degrees. Pitched the yeast and sealed it up. Starting gravity= 1.050. Bubbling away as we speak. I brewed my weight in beer in just one day!
Living in Utah with the alcohol limit on beer I'm sure you are quite popular with the neighbors. Maybe that's the reason for a 25 gal brew?

Warrior said:
Living in Utah with the alcohol limit on beer I'm sure you are quite popular with the neighbors. Maybe that's the reason for a 25 gal brew?
there are many factors in Utah that make it a necessity to brew. My job and schedule are cause for a need to brew as much as you can when you can. It made for a very productive brew day.

Before I moved to Keggles, I thought that I would stick with 5 gallon batches. Once I got my keggles, I figured that I have the capacity, I might as well use it. Yes, it is more expensive, but it does not take that much more time. If I am doing a beer that I have not made before, I will split the batch and expirement. Maybe a different yeast, maybe dry hop, maybe fruit or spice. If it is a house beer, I will just make 10 gallons and store the extra 5.

You are able to learn quicker what flavor profiles different things give to beer.

Back