Who's my Chicago homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisTags said:
Isn't it easier to just buy bottles of distilled water and be done with it?

No. Because then you have to treat the distilled water for mineral content and ph. If it ain't broke don't fix it! The city is not the problem if you have water qaulity issues specific to your house.

IMO if the water tastes good then brew with it. Unfiltered Chicago water makes pretty good beer. But feel free to get ur panties in a bunch about a 5 micron filtration system if u want ;)

I brew all grain on St Charles water I don't do any water treatment on my end. My beer turns out pretty good and I usually overshoot my target gravity.

PapsD said:
No. Because then you have to treat the distilled water for mineral content and ph. If it ain't broke don't fix it! The city is not the problem if you have water qaulity issues specific to your house.

IMO if the water tastes good then brew with it. Unfiltered Chicago water makes pretty good beer. But feel free to get ur panties in a bunch about a 5 micron filtration system if u want ;)

I brew all grain on St Charles water I don't do any water treatment on my end. My beer turns out pretty good and I usually overshoot my target gravity.

+1
I just recently started filtering and adding salts. Before the beer was awesome, but with, I can play on ingredients.

Out in bolingbrook, brewing extract. Water gets a campden tablet and that's all. Big difference between my brews when I started using those

mux said:
+1
I just recently started filtering and adding salts. Before the beer was awesome, but with, I can play on ingredients.

I've thought about doing that but I only do a few lagers a year. I'm also lazy so I just brew to the water. Don't need n e gypsum with St Charles water that's for sure!

I usually have acidify my mash, especially with wheat beers. Usually add 2-4 grams gypsum and 1-3 grams calcium chloride depending on the beer.

Does anyone know the water profile for Munster Indiana? Our water comes from Hammond and I am having trouble getting a detailed profile.

Five gallons of Chicago water smells like a swimming pool and tastes slightly metallic, but it tastes great filtered and has no aroma.

If my beer sucks, it isn't because of the water. I'd like to get my filtered water analyzed to see what it leaves behind.

I'm in the Ravenswood neighborhood, just a mile east of Lincoln Square. Great to be in Chicago.

Does anyone know the water profile for Munster Indiana? Our water comes from Hammond and I am having trouble getting a detailed profile.

I call the Hammond Water Department every year to get the current readings. Here are the results for 2011. They test every other year. The readings are very close to Chicago water.
Calcium (Ca) 34
Magnesium (Mg) 12
Sodium (Na) 12
Potassium (K) 1.5
Iron (Fe) .1
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 130
Sulfate (SO4) 32
Chloride (Cl) 18
Nitrate (NO3) .7
Fluoride (F) 1

tom

In highland. We get an annual mailed report but it doesn't include the info I'm normally looking for... Although I'd guess this is pretty close if not the same. Thanks for sharing.

In Dupage....just starting out, straight to all grain....great to see NWI here too, my old stomping grounds! Starting to hit Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield.

Five gallons of Chicago water smells like a swimming pool and tastes slightly metallic, but it tastes great filtered and has no aroma.

If my beer sucks, it isn't because of the water. I'd like to get my filtered water analyzed to see what it leaves behind.

If you're using an activated carbon filter, the mineral content should be unchanged. AFAIK, it just removes impurities and most of the chlorine.

The "swimming pool" aroma is obviously chlorine, which is required by law. Campden takes care of that instantly. Metallic could also be from the chlorine, or possibly just from sitting in pipes.

I run through a carbon filter, hit with campden, and acidify/salt sparingly depending on my grist & style.

And I agree - if my beer doesn't turn out, it's usually my fault, not the waters's :)

geckholm said:
In Dupage....just starting out, straight to all grain....great to see NWI here too, my old stomping grounds! Starting to hit Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield.

Place is awesome. Brandon is great, hands down the best of the three brewshops within my range.

If you're using an activated carbon filter, the mineral content should be unchanged. AFAIK, it just removes impurities and most of the chlorine.

I use a Pentek filter that has a k-55 granular filter and coconut shell granular activated charcoal filter.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...f-rv-filter-w-garden-hose-fittings.aspx#specs

I use it for all my drinking water too. Tastes great.

KDF 55 Media can remove up to 99% of water-soluble lead, mercury, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals. All KDF Process Media forms are effective in controlling the buildup of bacteria, algae, fungi and scale.

http://www.kdfft.com/products.htm

Moving to lakeview soon and will be able to brew on my rooftop (it is stone, so its ok) im lookin for folks to brew and drink homebrew with! Any takers? Ill have some bourbon barrell porter ready in september...

Spartybrew said:
Moving to lakeview soon and will be able to brew on my rooftop (it is stone, so its ok) im lookin for folks to brew and drink homebrew with! Any takers? Ill have some bourbon barrell porter ready in september...

I'm around clark and diversey, drop me a line when you're in!

codycodycody said:
Nwi here. Right by valparaiso.

Went to school at valpo, not a bad town....I'll be there saturday to bandaid our crappy frat house

heferly said:
I'm around clark and diversey, drop me a line when you're in!

Went to school at valpo, not a bad town....I'll be there saturday to bandaid our crappy frat house

Heferly, I used to live in that 20 story facing the Wiener's Circle, that is one LOUD neighborhood! In Bucktown now, much quieter when you're off those busy Chicago streets. I'd love to swap brews with local homebrewers. Feel free to PM me if interested. Cheers!

Sippin37 said:
Heferly, I used to live in that 20 story facing the Wiener's Circle, that is one LOUD neighborhood! In Bucktown now, much quieter when you're off those busy Chicago streets. I'd love to swap brews with local homebrewers. Feel free to PM me if interested. Cheers!

Yeah, that place has been crazy since their show, and their spot on conan (look it up if you haven't seen it, hilarious).

Had a friend living in wicker a couple years back, great hood, has changed a little over the last couple years, eh?

I have a few beers in various stages, I'll let you know when some are ready if you want to swap!

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Nice, I'm in portage, working in valpo, used to have family reunions in wanatah. Guy lived across the hall from me in college from wanatah too.

If he's around my age I'm sure I know him. Town is pretty small.

Thanks millstone. I tried calling Hammond and kept getting the run around.

thought I would add the document I get fax'ed from the water department, just in case you need to see the entire water analysis.

tom

Hammond Water.JPG

Yeah, that place has been crazy since their show, and their spot on conan (look it up if you haven't seen it, hilarious).

Had a friend living in wicker a couple years back, great hood, has changed a little over the last couple years, eh?

I have a few beers in various stages, I'll let you know when some are ready if you want to swap!

Oh yeah, that spot on Conan was so funny! And yeah the Wicker/Bucktown has changed quite a bit. Still crazy when you're near the 6 Corners but otherwise it's a peaceful neighborhood.

Yeah I have a few as well cooking right now so we can definitely do a swap. Sounds good!

Latest posts

Back