Who's brewing today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did a lemon wit this morning first full boil on the new turkey fryer. first run with the diy wort chiller too. getting ready for ag. just need to order a perforated steel plate for a false bottom:ban:

I brew almost every Monday. Will do Tuesday this week. I worked my Ass off last week, Brewed one, Bottled one , racked one. Didn't want to do that all in the same day this week.

Brewsmith said:
I own 4 fridges now... :D

...I have two now! Big enough for kegging! Yipppeee....

Wife found out that it was not a freezer yesterday. Not happy.

"It is for your beer I suppose, is that all that you can think about?"

"Yes"

:tank:

Smacked the pack on a Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan last night. It goes on the stir plate with a pint starter this morning for an anticipated 10 gallon batch on Friday afternoon.

Used 3 packs of muntons gold for the "pils". Using a pack of saf 33 and windors in my belgian dark strong ale (1.092 OG)

And since there were sugars left in the mash.. a lot.. I added 3.5 kgs of malt, mashing as we speak to make a mystery beer...

So that will be either 25 or 30 gallons in two days.

dibby33 said:
..."It is for your beer I suppose, is that all that you can think about?"

"Yes"

:tank:
Sounds oh, so familiar.

Wife - "Can we go out tonight?"
Me - "Sorry hon...not tonight..."
Wife - " Why not? We haven't gone out...blah...blah...blah..."
Me - "Sorry. I gotta get this wit into kegs tonight or else..."
Wife - "What about tomorrow night?"
Me - "Uh...no can do sweety. I gotta measure grains for Saturday's brew."
Wife - "Well...what are we doing for dinner tonight?"
Me - "Me?...Triscuits and a Porter."
Wife - "Well, do you have any cash? I'm gonna go grab a subway..."
Me - "Ummmm. Sorry babe. I had to stop off and grab some WLP002 for my Red Hook ESB this weekend."

Wife - "Dick!!!!"
Me - "Oh that's nice dear. Maybe later if you're still in the mood." ;)

Going to be brewing my favorite. My house pale Saturday morning. Some people enjoy sleeping in on Saturdays, while I purposely wake up at 5 to get started on my mash.

The great thing is that by the time the wife and kids are waking up, Im done and in the process of spraying off the back porch.

I'm brewing for SWMBO today. Honey Kolsch. Tomorrow I brew for me, Belgian Tripel. I have twenty gallons of beer and five gallons of Edwort's apfelwien in my fermentation cooler now......yeah sure......I can squeeze in ten more gallons:drunk: .

Chimone said:
...Some people enjoy sleeping in on Saturdays, while I purposely wake up at 5 to get started on my mash.

The great thing is that by the time the wife and kids are waking up, Im done and in the process of spraying off the back porch.

Ain't it the truth. It also makes 10:30AM feel like 2PM....beer time.... :ban:

Hey Chimone...how bout sharing that recipe for your haus ale?

Well, I had to do some major squeezing to get five more gallons into the fermentation chiller today. Looks like 30 gallons is about my max:( . Guess I'll have to really get rockin' on my kegerator to free up some space. Sigh, if only my shanks were not on back order.

I just put 13 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen wort on to boil. 14# Wheat + 8# Pils and no stuck sparge on a stainless braid. I left the rice hulls out after reading how dirty they are.

Time to feed the deer.

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
I think I might brew another hefe sans-acid rest.

I did a 90 minute mash at 152. Got a massive starter of 3068 to split between two buckets. I'll ferment it at 68 degrees.

BierMuncher said:
Ain't it the truth. It also makes 10:30AM feel like 2PM....beer time.... :ban:

Hey Chimone...how bout sharing that recipe for your haus ale?

Its a very simple recipe. The wife and I absolutely love this beer especially on a hot summer day.

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90% 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
5% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
5% 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 17.2 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 14.1 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 7.2 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 Flameout or Dry Hop (up to you)

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

mash at 154

5.5Gallons
OG 1.049
IBU 37.5
SRM 4.8

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
too lazy to type this into beersmith. whats the abv, ibu and srm on this beer? I don't have any crystal 20 but I do have crystal 40.

there you go, I edited for you

BierMuncher said:
Sounds oh, so familiar.

Wife - "Can we go out tonight?"
Me - "Sorry hon...not tonight..."
Wife - " Why not? We haven't gone out...blah...blah...blah..."
Me - "Sorry. I gotta get this wit into kegs tonight or else..."
Wife - "What about tomorrow night?"
Me - "Uh...no can do sweety. I gotta measure grains for Saturday's brew."
Wife - "Well...what are we doing for dinner tonight?"
Me - "Me?...Triscuits and a Porter."
Wife - "Well, do you have any cash? I'm gonna go grab a subway..."
Me - "Ummmm. Sorry babe. I had to stop off and grab some WLP002 for my Red Hook ESB this weekend."

Wife - "Dick!!!!"
Me - "Oh that's nice dear. Maybe later if you're still in the mood." ;)

LMAO! That's an instant classic, BierMuncher!

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. My wife actually took it upon herself to order a kit from AHS and she wants me to help her brew her own. :mug:

Did a "Vale Pale Ale" with 10 lb. maris otter, 1 lb. crystal 60L, a whole bunch of centennial and cascade hops and American ale yeast.

I also bottled an ESB and transferred a California Common to the secondary. All in all a very busy brew day.

I'm drinking up the last of my extract brews and am kind of disappointed in how the two batches I have a lot of left turned out. I did an alt which I made pretty big with 9 lbs. of extract plus some steeping grains. I don't know if I just don't like it or if there's something wrong with it.

I also did a really pale yellow lawnmower beer. I think that one may turn out okay, but it's taking a lot longer than I thought to get good.

I'm really looking forward to my first two AG batches to be ready. The ESB I bottled today tasted heavenly even though it's green and flat. Once it's carbed it should be pretty darn good.

Well so much for brewing today. Maybe tonight, we'll see

The wind is steady at 5-10 gusting quite a bit higher at times. So Im off to the golf course instead.

Good luck to the rest of you

Today I bottled my latest take on a DIPA (3rd AG brew) and it is killer. Could be the best DIPA I have brewed to date if it bottle conditions as expected. The Imp Coffee Stout is still conditioning in the 2nd-ary. Have a John Barleycorn barleywine sitting on chill to follow up my 1st AG bitter that is pretty dang tasty.

I just got home from the hbs, got all the ingredients for a harpoon ipa clone and cheesefood's caramel cream ale. Time to clean the kitchen so I can brew tonight and tomorrow. Also grabbed more montrachet so I can start another batch of apfelwein

Another batch of LME Pale. Trying something different with the cascade hops: 2 oz at beginning of boil, 1 oz last 10 min, 1oz in primary.

Just mashed in so what a great time to sit down for a pint and some HBT. Kind of funny, but the wife got called in to work as soon as I started heating the strike water. She actually used the excuse of me brewing for the reason she couldn't come in..... gotta love it

Its cold and raining pretty hard too which is a nice change from the heat wave we've had lately.

cheers :mug:

Holy crap... I overshot my efficiency on my Pliny clone from last week and ended up at 1.084, and now its finished fermenting at 1.017.

Tastes incredible even before dry hopping, but wow, that puts it at 9.5% ABV if I'm doing my calculations right. This is gonna be a hell of a beer.

-D

Llarian said:
Holy crap... I overshot my efficiency on my Pliny clone from last week and ended up at 1.084, and now its finished fermenting at 1.017.

Tastes incredible even before dry hopping, but wow, that puts it at 9.5% ABV if I'm doing my calculations right. This is gonna be a hell of a beer.

-D
I overshot a bit with my IPA as well, and it's 8.5%. The hops and a bit of malt character from some Carapils make the high ABV seem to disappear. Makes it easy to get sloppy drunk...

The Hefe is awaiting a boil. This is my second two part brew session. If all goes well I am thinking of writing up the process for the 'time challenged' brewer.

Back