Whole Leaf Hops Just Released Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
For anyone who isn't aware of it, Hops Direct just released their 2011 crop of whole leaf hops. They are limiting orders to one pound of each variety due to low yields. I just ordered mine this morning.

Bob

They had Amarillo and Chinook when I ordered my 6 pounds. It looks like the sold out of many varieties very quickly this year. Glad I got my order in so early.

Wow, I got Chinook this morning. Guess a lot of people ordered early.

Bob

According to HopUnion, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Centennial, Magnum, Palisade, Simcoe and Sorachi Ace 2012 contracts (i.e. 2011 crop year) are sold out, so all we'll be able to get are the scraps from cancelled contracts and whatever unallocated surplus they have for the spot market.

How long will the hops that come from HopsDirect keep in the sealed bags they are shipped in?

I got a bit crazy in my order and have 8 pounds. I can't fit it all in my freezer. Will it keep for awhile in a cool space or do I need to hunt down some freezer space at the neighbors' places?

The freezer is the best place. If you google, "Hops Storage Index" you'll find some pretty good info on the subject. The colder you keep them, the less they will degrade in a given period of time.
You might consider vacuum sealing the hops. This will greatly reduce the size of the original packages. Maybe then they'll fit in your freezer.

Bob

Right. I am planning on doing so, i w just wondering if I have a week, two weeks etc... Before a noticeable degredation.

Anyone?

Hopsdirect doesn't keep them frozen. I doubt any large scale hop farm has the facilities or money to keep them frozen. You are good just keeping them out of heated areas and away from Oxygen.

edit - I amend my statement, 29F

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. I am planning on doing so, i w just wondering if I have a week, two weeks etc... Before a noticeable degredation.

Anyone?

A week or 2 won't cause noticeable aging if kept cool. The nitrogen purging and barrier bag will take light and oxygen pretty much out of the equation, so temperature will be the only factor in play.

Bob

Latest posts

Back