Whole Leaf Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
I have this lovely SMaSH IPA that I brewed awhile back with Simcoe hops. It is now time to dry hop the bad boy and my LHBS only had whole leaf. Due to my thinking that they would have pellets, I didnt order them online. Should I dry hop the same way I would with pellets or use a muslin bag with the hops and toss them in with sanitized marbles?

Personally I just add them right into the bucket, using a sanitized utensil of some sort to dunk them a little bit so that they're in contact with the beer (they'll soak up enough beer to pull them fully into the beer soon enough).

When it's time to rack to bottling bucket, I just use a sanitized strainer to remove most of the whole hops, which will still be floating near the top.

I hate dry hopping in carboys with whole hops. PITA to clean!

If you're using something like a bucket that has a wide opening, I say go for your normal process.

I dry hopped in a bucket 2ndary using whole hops but put mine in a bag and it was HOPTASTIC i used 3oz Cascade whole hops... Infact its one recipe i will do again for sure!

Thank you all for the help. Unfortunately, I am using a better bottle for my secondary. I have 2oz of Simcoe whole leaf that is probably going to find its way into it.

Back