Whole house water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to stay in an apartment that had one of those and it worked great. I used to brew straight from the tap without problems.
It takes out the chlorine, metals, dissolved inorganics and controls the mineral content. Thats all you need. You'll just have to make sure you keep up the maintenance on it and try to get a tap that comes from as close to the filter as possible.

What does it do to alkalinity? What about calcium and magnesium? Do you know what your source water specs are? Before you plan to go somewhere it generally helps to know where you are presently at. Otherwise you may find that you are driving blind.

Looks like a hoax to me. It says it will not remove minerals from your water yet has an illustration showing Ca and Mg binding to resin beads in its cartridge.

Whether you need any treatment on not depends on your water's composition so in order to make an intelligent decision you really must have a water analysis done. Ward Labs does this for brewers at reasonable cost. The investment is well worth it especially if you are thinking of buying a system that "naturally alter the structure of hard mineral ions into a crystal structure that prevents the minerals from binding and forming scale buildup." That's blatant pseudo science (ions don't have a crystal structure - crystals are made up of ions when the water is removed).

How do these people get away with this?

Back