whole cone hop issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
I have an IPA on day ten of fermentation right now and I have a bit of a dilemma. I used a good bit of whole hops in the boil/ whirl pool and was not smart enough to use a bag. So now I have carboy full of beer and that has a 1" thick layer of hops floating on top. I want to dry hop this (w/ pellets) but I'm concerned that the hops floating on top are going to act as a barrier stopping my pellets from getting where they need to be.
My question is, do I transfer to secondary and then dry hop? I typically dont secondary but with all the whole hops in there I kind of want to.

If you have the room for the pellets I'd just dump them in and give the carboy a good rocking each day.
If you have access to CO2 it wouldn't hurt to flush the head space a couple of times after dumping in the pellets...

Cheers!

Do I need to worry at all about the hop cones that are in there? Can all that vegetable matter leave any off flavors?

Here's a picture

1012171844a.jpg

Holy cow! I pictured a scattering, but that looks like every last cone from the kettle :D

I have to agree, this is one of those times that a secondary might make sense.
Just try to do it without introducing a major oxidation hit...

Cheers!

Yeah, Getting the wort transferred was a big PITA. Learning experience for sure. Everything got clogged and I just had to pour the pot right in and didnt have anything to catch the hops. I'll be transferring tonight for sure.

Back