Whole cherries VS steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoodle

Reaction score
Well it's time to move some young cherrie cider to the secondary, and I was wondering which would give me the most flavor? Should I steep the cherries in the young cider for 15 mins or just put the cherries in the carboy? The only problem with putting them in the carboy is the opening of the carboy is very small and getting the cherries out would be a pain. Let me
Know what you think.

If you add cherries, add them to the cider and let it ferment on them. Chop them up into small pieces, and they will not be a problem to remove. Take the stone out and chop, but add the stones to the cider too.

How much cherry flavor do you want? Adding cherries will not add too much. The sugars will ferment out and most of the aroma will be driven off with the CO2. You might want to think of using a flavoring addition from your local HBDS.

I added the cherries whole, thanks for the info I think when I bottle I will try to back sweeten with some cherrie juice then pasturize.

Back