Who stops brewing during the summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmditter said:
In Wisconsin almost everyone has a basement. It stays a good temp for brewing all year around in mine. If I ever go to all grain, though, I'm not sure whether I will be outside in January brewing. I may have to do it inside in two pots. SWMBO would love it, though, if I would start brewing outside as she detests the smell (I think it's the hops that she doesn't like). Maybe I can score a turkey fryer off her for my birthday!

Aw c'mon, you're not a REAL Wisconsinite if you're not brewing in a subzero windchill!!! ;)

Up near Amherst they have an annual ice brew- they drive their trucks and brewing rigs onto the lake and brew away. I hear some of them even use water from the lake to brew with. I dunno bout that, but I suppose with the water being so cold and then boiling it anyway.......

The turkey fryer is the key-start dropping hints to SWMBO!:ban: :ban:

Brewiz said:
I will keep going but probably be doing night brrews up in the brewshed, just installed a exhaust fan using an old furnace blower that should help keep the hot Ga nights easier to cope with.
[/QUOTE]
Brew shed? omg! A fantasy come true. :mug:

RichBrewer said:
I just read a post by Rhoobarb and he stated that he is going to brew his last batch before summer and won't brew again until it cools down.
Who else shuts down their brewery in the summer?
I don't skip a beat. I keep brewing all summer long. If I have to I will put the fermenter in ice water to keep the temps in control.
What does everyone else do?

Only wusses stop in the summer. There is ALWAYS a way to beat the heat. It may not be easy, but there is always a way. Do I like fall and winter brewing better? YES! Summer pretty much sucks, at least here in the deep south. That's why I start at the crack of dawn. Chilling is a challenge with 78 F tap water, but I make do with a couple extra steps. The brewing NEVER stops.:rockin: If I ran out of homebrew, it would be a tragedy beyond measure.

Prosit!

ablrbrau said:
Up near Amherst they have an annual ice brew- they drive their trucks and brewing rigs onto the lake and brew away. I hear some of them even use water from the lake to brew with. I dunno bout that, but I suppose with the water being so cold and then boiling it anyway.......

WTF? That isn't too far from where I grew up.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster too....let's put turkey fryers on the ice! And then let's use sewer water to brew with!!!

:rockin:

Dude said:
WTF? That isn't too far from where I grew up.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster too....let's put turkey fryers on the ice! And then let's use sewer water to brew with!!!

:rockin:

At the LHBS in Stevens Point they say it's a blast and the beer turns out great. I've never been to it (they've only been doing it a few years) but was thinknig of giving it a go next winter.........:)

Anyone with a cool temperature problem could start making ciders!

Ciders can brew 72-81'F. I plan to use the basement, when that gets too hot I will either make cider or use my 2nd fridge that I got for my birthday!!:D

Roper 20.4cuft ~ $428.

Primary: Northern Brewer Cream Ale
Bottles: Vienna-Style Ale, Blueberry Beer, Cali Pale Ale

GOD said:
Must be real hard to do alone.... don't you need a Belgian woman to help out?

Methinks a Bavarian woman who knew about Belgian brews would be preferable... Rhoobarb may know... ;)

Ize

Back