Who owns your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGRip

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was having trouble keeping track of which international brewing behemoth now owns which formerly craft breweries. So I started working on an online list for myself and it turned into this: http://www.craftorcrafty.com/

It's a mobile-friendly searchable index of breweries and their ownership status. Statuses include Craft, Crafty, and Crap. Basically a tool to help beer lovers make informed decisions at the point of sale (i.e. in a bar or bottle shop).

Check it out when you have a moment. Thoughts, suggestions, and complaints are all welcome.

Cheers!
Greg
:mug:

Hi everybody,

I was having trouble keeping track of which international brewing behemoth now owns which formerly craft breweries. So I started working on an online list for myself and it turned into this: http://www.craftorcrafty.com/

It's a mobile-friendly searchable index of breweries and their ownership status. Statuses include Craft, Crafty, and Crap. Basically a tool to help beer lovers make informed decisions at the point of sale (i.e. in a bar or bottle shop).

Check it out when you have a moment. Thoughts, suggestions, and complaints are all welcome.

Cheers!
Greg
:mug:

OP, when you want to add a brewery to your list what email address do you want. The person who is inputing the request or an email for the brewery? I assume it is the brewery but thought I would ask.

Thanks, everyone! I'm adding more breweries to the list as quickly as I can. If your favorite breweries aren't on there, adding them would be a huge help! (And a huge "thanks!" to everyone who as already contributed).

I had envisioned the "email" field to be the contact info of the contributor- I originally called it "Added by." (That field is visible to te public, BTW). I have plans of adding contact email for each brewery (or at least links to brewery websites) down the line a bit.

Cheers!

What is the criteria for a crap designation? I've honestly never had a Shock Top and it is the only one I see in your listing.

You guys are too kind, calling Leinenkugel's, Blue Moon, and Rolling Rock "crafty" instead of "crap".

Definitely agree with all of these and was wondering the same thing. Leinenkugel's octoberfest is marginally good, but otherwise those are all crap beers.

Thanks again, everyone!

Which category a specific non-craft beer should fall into is definitely the biggest point of contention with this. I'm planning on adding some more user-driven metrics in the future to allow users to vote on how craft-like or crap-esque a beer is. I think that could be a lot of fun and could start some entertaining discussions.

Don't worry, I'll be adding some more Crap beers to the list soon. And as for Shock Top, I originally had it listed as Crafty. But I needed to include one Crap beer to make sure the site was working correctly, and it seemed like the obvious choice.

Suggest updating Anchor Brewing to "Crafty." Not only were they sold to investors formerly of Skyy Vodka in 2010, the brewery registered a trademark on an entire beer style (historical, not their own invention), which is possibly the most "Macrobrewery" thing one could conceivably do.

Suggest updating Anchor Brewing to "Crafty." Not only were they sold to investors formerly of Skyy Vodka in 2010, the brewery registered a trademark on an entire beer style (historical, not their own invention), which is possibly the most "Macrobrewery" thing one could conceivably do.
To that end, a "suggest an edit" button on existing listings would be a nice feature, when you get to the point of adding new functionality.
(As in suggested updates to spelling, ownership status, or notes.)

Also, a field for brewery hq location would be handy, especially when you start getting into smaller breweries with similar names.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. "Suggest an Edit" is a feature I'll be rolling out soon. Along with links to brewery websites and brewery Beer Advocate pages.

FWIW, I tend to grade Anchor on a little bit of a curve , given the outsized role that Fritz Maytag played in the development of the first generation of American craft brewers

Hi again, everyone.

After some thought, I have changed the "Crap" category on craftorcrafty.com to "Corporate."
I decided that the "crap" designation implied a judgement about the quality of the beer, which is not what this site is about. And “crap” is certainly not a good description of breweries like Guinness and Franziskaner, which do make more sense in the Corporate category. So ultimately this is a pretty broad category, encompassing “old master” breweries that have been purchased by Big Beer, international mainstays, and truly “crap” breweries that produce better advertising than beer..

In related news, the BA just announced an "independent" label that will help us identify truly craft beers: https://www.brewersassociation.org/news/show-them-your-independence/

Not me, somebody else with the same idea. There are a couple of other sites and apps out lately that are doing the same thing. Sign of the times.

Interesting site, thanks for putting that together. One minor tweak you might consider: some of those "crafty" brewers are only partially owned by large companies. It might be helpful to add the ownership share in those instances, if you really want your site to accurately show "who owns your beer." For instance, Kona Brewing is wholly owned by the Craft Brew Alliance (which also owns Redhook, Widmer, and a couple others), of which AB InBev has a 32% share.

Interesting site, thanks for putting that together. One minor tweak you might consider: some of those "crafty" brewers are only partially owned by large companies. It might be helpful to add the ownership share in those instances, if you really want your site to accurately show "who owns your beer." For instance, Kona Brewing is wholly owned by the Craft Brew Alliance (which also owns Redhook, Widmer, and a couple others), of which AB InBev has a 32% share.
Thanks for the suggestion! I agree that this information is important. In a lot of cases, though, specific ownership % info isn't available. So I've gone with the BA's definition of "Craft" and have put more specific information in the Notes section when available.

Back