Who makes a GOOD CO2 regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
I built my Keezer about 6 years ago (I believe...could be 7). I'm on my 2nd regulator. 1st was an entry level Taprite. It has been a few years, but I believe both a gauge and regulator failed on it.

I then got "The Governor" which was supposed to be a good regulator. It is no longer sold. The regulator just failed on it, going full pressure regardless of where it is set. Fortunately, I run two regulators, as my tank/regulator are outside the Keezer and I have one inside so that I an run two separate pressures.

I want a regulator that actually will last. Any recommendations with actual experience of them lasting and not just what you happened to buy?

fwiw, I run 4 Chudnow, 1 Taprite and 1 Micromatic regs, all primaries, most of the Chudnows for well over a decade, the Taprite and Micromatic for around 5 years. None have outright failed, though I have rebuilt two of the Chudnows.

While I prefer the Taprite for ease of use (big pressure knob wins over big pressure screw) I have respect for the Chudnows. They take 5 minutes to rebuild once you've done it once and the kits are both cheap and readily available...

Cheers!

All of my reg sets are external. I like being able to see/set them easily.
But I don't think that makes a difference wrt reliability...

Cheers!

I started kegging back in March and I currently have a CO2PO from Northern Brewer. It's ok but I am interested in this thread as it seems that I am constantly adjusting the regulator to my desired pressure.

But from what I see online all regulators seem to be 3 out of 5 stars for a variety of reasons but I as well would like to find a solid regulator.

I’ve got the micromatic premium series, a dual gauge primary and a secondary and am very happy with them, though I can’t speak to their longevity (only been kegging less than a year). I originally bought a taprite primary and returned it because it would never stay where I set it, always creeped upwards 10-15 psi. The micromatics are solid and stay put once set.

I did upgrade the shut-off valves to ones with check valves, they don’t come with check valves.

TOF. Made in Italy for commercial use. Extremely well built and individually tested. You can get them in the US and Canada. I have the triple product version.

Back