Who is your supplier of kits online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddStark

Reaction score
I am still brewing kits and have hit a couple of online retailers for my purchases but I have yet to find that one that is a comfortable one stop shopping supplier with reasonable shipping rates and quick turn-around.

Who have you found you like best and why?

Williams Brewing.
Pro's:
They were my first. They sent me a catalog that finally made me commit to trying home brewing. I bought my starter kit from them.
-Support was very responsive and answered all my questions in a timely manor.
-Best standard shipping I have found so far at $6.99
-They are very quick at putting order together and getting out the door, generally same day as I order.
-Have shared recipes with me for kits they discontinued
-Prices seem similar, maybe even a little cheaper, than others.

Con's
-I have never liked their web site. I find it clunky and slow.
-Their Kits have the LME in a huge bag that I find very awkward to work with.
-The kits often don't tell you what ingredients you are working with, they are just packaged with their part number and their instructions will call out that part number.

Northern Brewer
Pro's
-They have a very intuitive web site that is easy to navigate and cross-reference items
-They seem to have a lot of sales that anybody can take advantage of. Such as 15% off on any orders over a certain amount or maybe Free shipping.
-I like the way they package kits. Everything is identified with pertinent info so if you wanted you could reproduce the same flavor yourself by purchasing all the parts individually and then tweaking for a specific taste you might like. They put LME in a plastic just with a twist off lid. Very easy to work with.

Con's
-Flat rate shipping is $7.99 (not a deal breaker, is only a buck)
-Shipping can sometimes take a week before you get notice that they have packaged your order and requested carrier to pick up. This is for items clearly listed as "In Stock". Then you wait up to another week for the delivery.
-Some common items seem a little more expensive than other sites
-Have had a couple of mis-shipments from them (BUT they have always made good without hesitation, just have to wait for the correct items to be delivered slowly)

Jaspers. "Boomchugalug.com" I haven't bought a kit in a year or so but these guys put together great kits. Their c!ones , i've tried 2 of them and they were pretty close to the original beers even though I did extract recipes. They do both extract and all grain kits and shipping wasn't out of line as I remember it. I have actually priced out the ingredients at my lhbs and the price is often cheaper from Jaspers than I could buy it for. Contacted them about an issue once and they got back before the end of the day. I don't live close to a lhbs so shipping can get costly..... that said the closest lhbs to me supplies good ingredients and ships free in state so I buy from them now.

I really like Morebeer.com for any ordering. Free shipping over $60 so I can get two kits if I want. Great website and prices for most items. They have west coast AND east coast hubs so rarely are items out of stock.

I started with Northern Brewer 6 years ago. They still seem to have great service, but seem to really have slipped on prompt shipping. I haven't ordered anything from them for years because I can find everything I need at a lower price on other sites.

I have bought from Austin Homebrew Supply and was satisfied.

I have heard good things about Adventures in Homebrewing.

I haven't ordered a kit in over 5 1/2 years. When I want a "kit" I look up the recipe of NBs kits on their website then order the ingredients elsewhere usually getting more than I need to add to my stock. I can save up to 50% over the price of a kit that way.

These days I keep a couple hundred pounds of grain and 20+ types of hops, yeasts etc. I can whip up a recipe on brewday then go mill the grain and weigh out the hops without ordering anything or going to the LHBS to get things.....

"These days I keep a couple hundred pounds of grain and 20+ types of hops, yeasts etc. I can whip up a recipe on brewday then go mill the grain and weigh out the hops without ordering anything or going to the LHBS to get things....."

Paint me ENVIOUS!

Yea I checked out Adventures in Homebrewing but when a $34 kit cost $30 to ship"as the cheapest shipping method", I kinda gave up on them.

I started buying (extract) kits locally, AG kits from NB. Still use NB for the occasional piece of (proprietary) equipment, but discovered a great LHBS about an hour away that is totally worth the roadtrip. It is very well stocked with every ingredient I could need plus it's all fresher. Plus, sometimes you JUST GOTTA GO TO THE LHBS!

One thing to remember about kits...whether extract or all-grain, they're pretty heavy, so it isn't unreasonable for shipping to be a little steep. This is especially true with longer distances.

One thing to consider is waiting for an online retailer to offer a free-shipping sale (Austin Homebrew does it every now and then, applies to just about everything) and buy a few kits at the same time. In between those sales, they'll typically have a few individual kits with free shipping.

Back