Who got some hopslam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Illinois, but there's this little unassuming liquor store in a crappy neighborhood over where I work in Indiana. I decided to check it out last week to see what they had, and to my surprise they had a (very) small craft section. Three Floyds bombers for $7.99 ($10 in the Brewpub) and low and behold, (4) 6-packs of hopslam on the shelf. I bought two sixers last Wednesday. Stopped in again yesterday, and still (4) 6-packs on the shelf (they must have more in the back, but they have limited shelf space). $15.98/6. Not bad.

the porter in atlanta had a firkin over the weekend and it was divine. I have failed to get it in bottles yet, seems that it has been sold out by the time I get there every time. I don't mean to step on toes here, but personally, in my opinion...which is humble and doesn't mean much...I like it better than pliny

i bought 12 but is taking me a bit to get thru them cuz i have it on tap at my work

Hop city and Ale yeah sold out ridiculously fast here in Atlanta. Anyone know where I can try this beer?

gtcole said:
Hop city and Ale yeah sold out ridiculously fast here in Atlanta. Anyone know where I can try this beer?

The porter in little five and brickstore in decatur square each had a firkin of it last weekend, may be gone now though

Toco Giant had 4 or 5 cases yesterday around 1:30.
I also saw some at a small package store off of Scott Blvd just before it hits North Decatur Rd (almost across from the Ace Hardware).

I managed to get my hands on some last night at the Crafty Draught in Cumming GA.

Good stuff! I really enjoyed the one I tasted... :mug:

By the way, the bottling date on the bottles I purchased..."1/10/2012"

15 days old when I drank it!!! Winning.

there is a shop by me that cant seem to sell it quickly so i can get like as much as i want...though the mini kegs, which they dont have this year, are always scarce...its a fine brew but for the money there are others i would buy before it.

Got a sixer while i was on business in KY (Partytown in Florence). $17.99.

I thought it was steep at the time but I wish I had bought two....

The first few "teaser" six-packs arrived this week at the Hyvee in Iowa, so I had to drive over and get one. We don't get them in Nebraska at all....whatever. I was of course on a list or else I would have been out of luck. They didn't have them out on display. Supposedly they will get more in early Feb. My wife suggested I get a case if possible...yes, I am the luckiest ever :rockin:

Had it last night at Gordos in Cincinnati. It was served in a brandy glass (8Oz tops) for 7 dollars. Not worth the price IMO., but it was tasty. Anyone know abv on this?

An overpriced beer? Brekenridge double ipa,17 bucks for an average double ipa. Definatly sucks for that price, hopslam well i didnt mind too much overpriced yes somewhat, high abv lots of hops yes but come on 12-13 bucks really or just make some damn bombers,er ah, that would proabably be worse,consider that price though of a bomber,hmm almost two beers for a double ipa that is great about 12/ thats 6 bones a bottleX6=36, yeah-think about that one. Something to consider when rationalizing bomber prices. I mean pOrt brewinng santa's little helper is like 17 bucks for just a bomber- should i get it?Im thinking about it pretty hard.

The midtown Taco Mac had it on tap on Wednesday. I don't know if the have any left though, since I did my best to drink it.

I have some in my fridge right now, and I split one with a friend earlier this week. It's one of the few things that make me enjoy this time of the year.

Just had a few pints of cask conditions Hopslam... yum.

As good as I remember and totally worth the price (although these were only $4 pints).

I can't get it in NJ but willing to drive to PA to get some. I just need to come up with an excuse to take the whole family to PA and then accidentally stop at a distributor.

I was able to pick up a case last night. Can't wait to enjoy them over the next couple of months.

Just got a sixer bottled 17 days ago,seems another beer i liked more last year, im actually enjoying my Superbowl sunday pale ale slightly more.18 bucks is kind of rediculous but Brekenridge double ipa was selling theirs @ 17 bucks and to me that was ok and a ripoff. just dont see the connection to price besides a bigger buzz,malt and hops.I just think ive had plenty of 8% hopsters better and a reasonable pricetag.Like a SN seasonal for 6$. Im not snobbing this just sayin i wonder what people have been exposed to before trying a hyped up beer, this is a good beer i just dont see why its this much.Guess its just me.
It seemed to have a sticky sweetness that seemed a bit more noticable and this time i did notice the honey taste unlike last time, I know ive had some doubles id rather drink,guess i may think diffeently with another bottle of this on a different day, that usually seems to happen sometimes,ive notice even with SN Ruthless rye. Ive went through a sixer of that over the week and i seem to pick up differences sometimes nothing bad just seemed to vary somewhat.Great beer i still think Founders Redryepa is better,but who knows maybe this year is differnet for them as well.
Dont get me wrong this is a pretty good beer,im just not understanding its pricetag.

Just got a sixer bottled 17 days ago,seems another beer i liked more last year, im actually enjoying my Superbowl sunday pale ale slightly more.18 bucks is kind of rediculous but Brekenridge double ipa was selling theirs @ 17 bucks and to me that was ok and a ripoff. just dont see the connection to price besides a bigger buzz,malt and hops.I just think ive had plenty of 8% hopsters better and a reasonable pricetag.Like a SN seasonal for 6$. Im not snobbing this just sayin i wonder what people have been exposed to before trying a hyped up beer, this is a good beer i just dont see why its this much.Guess its just me.
It seemed to have a sticky sweetness that seemed a bit more heavy, I know ive had some doubles id rather drink,guess i may think diffeently with another bottle on a different day, that usually seems to happen sometimes,ive notice even with SN Ruthless rye. Ive went through a sixer of that over the week and i seem to pick up differences sometimes.Great beer i still think Founders Redryepa is better,but who knows maybe this year is differnet.
Dont get me wrong this is a pretty good beer,im just not understanding its pricetag.

I find the same thing in Hopslam. I think that the honey gives me an impression of sweetness or something.

bovineblitz said:
I find the same thing in Hopslam. I think that the honey gives me an impression of sweetness or something.

Weird, to me it is one of the driest, least malty double ipa's available

I picked up four this week, drank two of them and thought they were just ok. Don't know what to do with the other two...

Checked with a distributor last weekend in PA and they got 2 cases in and they were gone the same day. Its definitely a great beer but to travel out of state is a bit much unless I was going there anyway. I think they limit each distributor to 2 cases which I guess is fair so they can distribute it to more places.

I picked up four this week, drank two of them and thought they were just ok. Don't know what to do with the other two...

Ever been on Beeradvocate and seen the trades/wants? Im sure you could ship it somewhere in the country that Bells does not distribute to.

I wasn't super impressed with hopslam either, not that its bad, but its not as impressive as I anticipated. Especially not for $16.

Back