Who else have given up on airlocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya he did, I hear the toilet then little feet running and him calling "POP POP " he proudly shows me the thermapen in two pieces in the toilet. At least I got new water resistant one

I use a wine fermenter rather than a regular bucket - it's just under 8 gallons rather than 6. Never had a problem with a clogged fermenter because of the extra space.

Count me in the "I primary in a bucket and don't have blow-offs" group. I've done a couple dozen batches now, all in a bucket for primary with out even a sniff of a blow-off. Never even had krauzen get in my air lock. It doesn't hurt that my big biers are 4-4.5 gallon batches leaving me extra head space, however my regular strength ales including hefe's are usually 5.5 gallons.

Schlante,
Phillip

Make sure you break off or saw the little criss cross of plastic on the bottom of them if you are using 3-piecers. Hop pieces and other harder bits tend to get pushed up against them with rising karusen, and once they are blocked like that, it's more likely to build up pressure.

I was talking to my LHBS owner the other day and he said they stopped making them with that X shaped piece of plastic. I grabbed a couple of them and sure enough, no obstructions.

As for not using an airlock, well I do on every batch but I also use Fermcap. Its very unusual for me to have to add a blow off tube but when I do I just take off the airlock cap and bubbler and connect a 5/8 piece of tubing for a couple of days.

Back