Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey Ark

Reaction score
I froze my grapes and berries whenever I had extra left when I would routine grocery shop. Mashed them, pressed them, and put it into a 1-gallon carboy. I put in 1.5 Campden tablets in. Rather be a little over sterilized then vice versa with the potential of them harboring any of the crap nearby grapes had when they were in my fridge. White wisps are now strung above it beneath the sealed airlock.

Curious as to if this a Campden thing or is my brew screwed to ferment. One hypothesis I had was after I pitched the crushed Campden I swirled the carboy a little bit. Could the bad bacteria grow above the brew in that fashion, away from the Campden in the must?

When your using campden tablets before pitching yeast, you need to keep it covered with just a towel to let it gas out. That way when you pitch the yeast, it doesn’t harm or stress the yeast.

Back